VW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 4 cylinder Jetta K2. I recently purchased an air intake kit without a tube. The kit is similar to a nuespeed p-flow kit but it has a squarish 3-dimensional filter and a smaller circular filter. I started taking apart the airbox in my car and froze because of all the wires and hookups to the airbox.
Can anyone give me directions or pointers on how to install the air intake? Do I need to buy a tube or can I use the one that hooked to my airbox?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
The air intake you bought is designed to just fit on the stock intake tube. There should be a fastener that connects the filter to the tube. I've never seen a square filter before, but you might wanna try making a heat shield for it or your new intake wont be doing much for you. That small filter is a breather filter or something like that i dunno what its called. Someone correct me if im wrong but that goes on the vacuum line that goes into the back of the airbox. As for the small wires that hook up to the airbox, tie them off somewhere, you dont need them. DONT TOUCH the inside of the O2 connector cause your engine light will go on and its annoying as fuck.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I just got the same intake I've got a early 99 2.0 Golf and i'm putting it on today. Since your jetta is post 96 you have an air pump and you should see a thicker hose coming out of your manifold going into the airbox. You attach the breather filter (smaller one) to the end of that. The bracket I got with it has two holes and it appears that you mount both filters side by side. As far as anything else, like mounting the bracket, I didn't get any instructions (eBay junk) so I don't know if I have to drill or not. Did you get any instructions? If so could you tell me what it says about the bracket Oh yeah and for the vacuum lines (smaller hoses) just plug 'em and zip tie them to something sturdy.
Later

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Well, I put the intake on and it sounds great. A coupla things to note. The breather filter for the air pump didn't quite fit on the air pump hose, so I rigged it by cutting the hose right at the first curve out the pump, it fit then, with some electrical tape. The Bracket installs pretty easily, there are alreadys two holes on the inside fender that match up! The third mounting point is a slot which mounts on a little metal nub on top of the wheel well. There is a larger paper hose which came out of the back of the airbox, but I just let that loose for now, everything works fine and no check engine light! Oh and it is sort of impossible to touch the O2 sensor, because there is a plastic screen in front of it.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think i have the same intake but I am really confused about where the breather filter goes. I just installed this aftermarket intake in my 97 VW golf. There is a skinny line comeing out of the intake manifold that sucks air and there is no place to plug it onto the the new intake. It used to plug into the old airbox (mabe to control a valve inside the airbox. Anyway I have no idea what to do with it now or what its function really is. I thought about attaching a breather filter to it since its sucking air. Or maybe its supposed to be plugged up with tape!! I have no Idea!!! This is the itake i bought on ebay intake

·
Registered
45 Posts
I talked to someone and I think the breather filter is actually a crankcase breather and needs to be installed somewhere in the line that the crankcase vents back into the intake plumbing. This is to prevent buildup of oil inside the intake tube. Let me know if this makes any sense at all. New intake definatly has nice sound!

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Well what I heard was that 96 and older cars had no use for them because they had no air pumps. But I do have a fiber hose that used to go out the back of the air box that is just hanging around not doin anything.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Ok, I got the same one (it's cheap and effective), the breather filter that came with the intake goes on the hose that comes out of the little air pump in front of your engine near the hood latch. It didn't really fit that good, but I cut the hose right at the first curve coming out of the pump and wedged it inside the filter and taped it. The little vacuum line running out of the engine into the old box just plug it and lay it back towards the windshield or zip tie it to something sturdy. Hope this helps.
I love the deep throaty sound it makes when you take off.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think that hose that just hangin there doin nothing goes to a hollow chamber above your exhaust manifold. With the old airbox, it was desinged to let some cold air in there to cool the exhaust manifold (which is kinda stupid considering it gets over 1600 degress and air temp aint gonna do much) This is just my speculation that hose has no use with the new intakes. The only thing you could do is rerun the hose to somewhere outside the car that would pick up cold air when you drove and feed it to the box- but its prob not neccesary. As for the breather im gonna go ask someone at the shop about the post 96 MK3's

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I'm getting a set of those Kamei Dummy light vents soon and I think i'll run one hose to that and one right in front of the intake.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I belive all you guys are putting the breather in the wront place. It goes on a device called the "Breather T-connector" which is a circular device that sits on top of a valve cover. There should be a small hose that goes from that into the intake pipe to vent the crankcase. The other hose coming out of the T-connector goes down to the engine block/crankcase. This system is designed to allow the engine to "breathe" air when the pistons are forced down. The problem with this system is the air, which carries oil with it, is recycled into the intake tube. Im sure you might notice that the inside of your intake tube is coated with oil. Generally that is undesirable. By allowing the engine to breathe with the small breather, you avoid this situation. It does not add horsepower

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. My golf doesnt have that hose. Im just curious tho..How does the air pump work and what does it do for the intake?

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Beats me. I think it's just some kind of circulation assistance for the engine to pull in filtered air from the stock airbox.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts