VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2003 Passat GLX with an airbag fault. So since its a GLX, most things are electrical (ex: power seats). This car was hit just on the left side, the drivers side. Basically the damage is driver front door, passenger door, and a little bit of a frame work in the middle. But it's just the lower half of the car that has the damage; no broken glass, no damage on the door handle. But the seatbelt is damaged; it wont retract. So the only logical explaination for the airbag fault would be an exploded airbag (maybe been patched, if so, only the passenger airbag can be patched) or possibly its because of the seatbelt (if it's electrical). I'm hoping if I replace the seatbelt, that it would clear. I don't know anybody who has a VagCom except the dealer. Although, the dealer would have to clear it, right? Please tell me if I'm missing anything here and if the airbag has been patched, how much would it cost me? Or, how much would replacing a seatbelt cost?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just got a 2003 Passat GLX with an airbag fault. So since its a GLX, most things are electrical (ex: power seats). This car was hit just on the left side, the drivers side. Basically the damage is driver front door, passenger door, and a little bit of a frame work in the middle. But it's just the lower half of the car that has the damage; no broken glass, no damage on the door handle. But the seatbelt is damaged; it wont retract. So the only logical explaination for the airbag fault would be an exploded airbag (maybe been patched, if so, only the passenger airbag can be patched) or possibly its because of the seatbelt (if it's electrical). I'm hoping if I replace the seatbelt, that it would clear. I don't know anybody who has a VagCom except the dealer. Although, the dealer would have to clear it, right? Please tell me if I'm missing anything here and if the airbag has been patched, how much would it cost me? Or, how much would replacing a seatbelt cost?

if the seatbelt airbag went off..most likely they all went off...its all on a single module (brain),inside the dash. I can tell you know, it will cost almost $1000 to replace all the airbags..need to get all the airbags, and the module, and install it, and clear it...I don't know if its different where you live, but here in mass, its like that.

I worked at a junkyard and people came in asking for 1 airbag, but there sold as a set...most people pay $500 tops for all the airbags, and thats for a mk3.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if the seatbelt airbag went off..most likely they all went off...its all on a single module (brain),inside the dash. I can tell you know, it will cost almost $1000 to replace all the airbags..need to get all the airbags, and the module, and install it, and clear it...I don't know if its different where you live, but here in mass, its like that.

I worked at a junkyard and people came in asking for 1 airbag, but there sold as a set...most people pay $500 tops for all the airbags, and thats for a mk3.

thanks man thats good to know. but would the seltbelt cause an 'airbag fault'?u know how if u take off the driver seat and unplug and plug it back it would show an airbag fault because its tied up? so could the seatbelt be electrical?

·
Registered
368 Posts
thanks man thats good to know. but would the seltbelt cause an 'airbag fault'?u know how if u take off the driver seat and unplug and plug it back it would show an airbag fault because its tied up? so could the seatbelt be electrical?

If you remove a seat, nothing will cause the airbag light to go on, when unplugging a seat, all it is is the heat plug (heated seats).

When you remove a seatbelt completely, there is a long black capsule attached to the bottom of it, that is hidden under the rug and panels. That is part of the electrical system..if that is removed, or is cracked or w.e, it will mess with your computers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you remove a seat, nothing will cause the airbag light to go on, when unplugging a seat, all it is is the heat plug (heated seats).

When you remove a seatbelt completely, there is a long black capsule attached to the bottom of it, that is hidden under the rug and panels. That is part of the electrical system..if that is removed, or is cracked or w.e, it will mess with your computers.

yeah but my seats have airbags on them. so then would it cause an airbag fault if i have removed the seat?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts