VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my airbag fault light came on yesterday. I read in the manual - it said it should be seen by a vw tech asap. I know the manual always says that, but is this serious? Also, could I disconnect the battery and reset the ecu manually? Please let me know, as I am worried the air bag will go off. I want to set up an appointment for the dealership to replace my drivers side window regulator. its losing power when it gets to the top. thanks.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just called the dealership (had it in to replace my window regulator- went snap on monday) I got charged 1/2 hour diagnosis charge only. basically the guy said, they just reset the light, and hope it doesnt come back on. if it does...then I would have to replace my air bag....dont know which one it is, but it would be a buttload of money. depending where it is, might be better off buying that part (seat or steering wheel) off someone, and just install it. would that work???

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Did you by chance pull the seats out of the car? When you disconnect the airbag wire under the seats, it will make the airbag lights go on. This happened to me when I pulled my passenger seat out for the track.

Also, FYI...... before you go and have a friend plug into the airbag controller, read this warning. http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vw_issues.html

[ August 14, 2003: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Also, if you need to purchase something to fix this problem, I would bet that you would need to replace the airbag controller unit, not the actual airbags. The control unit is located under the dashboard, to the right hand side of your gas pedal. You need to have a new one ordered, and then have it recoded by the dealer, or by someone with a Vag Com and then replaced. They are not cheap either, when I had to do this, I paid around $400. I coded it myself though to save $$$.

·
Registered
7 Posts
mine has got soaked because the sunroof drain got blocked and water has been pissing all over it. and now i have the orange airbag light on my dash and when i drive over 50mph i get the warning on the dashboard! what can i do?

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
mine has got soaked because the sunroof drain got blocked and water has been pissing all over it. and now i have the orange airbag light on my dash and when i drive over 50mph i get the warning on the dashboard! what can i do?
Where is that Zombie picture....cause this is THREAD IS BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!!

you can dry it out useing a hair dryer and hope you have not damaged anything by turning the car on while it was wet....GL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts