VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The airbag warning light came on in my 2007 Jetta. How do I go about getting this taken care of without going to the dealership and paying $100 just for someone to look at it?

The horn stopped working as well. I replaced the 15amp fuse, but it still does not sound. Where is the horn assembly located? So I can see if the horn needs to be replaced or a connection is loose.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The airbag warning light came on in my 2007 Jetta. How do I go about getting this taken care of without going to the dealership and paying $100 just for someone to look at it?

The horn stopped working as well. I replaced the 15amp fuse, but it still does not sound. Where is the horn assembly located? So I can see if the horn needs to be replaced or a connection is loose.
If you're in the DC/Maryland area, come by and we'll read/clear the SRS codes. Unlike engine codes, if you trigger an SRS code it will not clear without a scanner. They are easy to trigger, removing the steering wheel, messing with drivers/passenger seat, pulling fuses, etc.

If you're not in the area, post an ad on craigslist...
"$20 and a beer if you clear my MkV Jetta SRS light"

Worked for me before on my old BMW 735i. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't have a shop, I'm just an average guy. I live/work in Gaithersburg, MD.
I bought a VW VAG programmer/code scanner for my VW (Cheap Chinese manufactured U600), but so far it has only been able to interface with OBD II (engine) modules. I think the model I bought works only with 4th generation and older modules. I'm not sure if it'll clear your code, but we could try. Send me a PM with your contact info.

·
Registered
57 Posts
if its a mkv you wont be able to clear his code. you need a can bus cable. i know where to look for a newer version pm me il send ya link. i dont wanna post here. but i use it cost me 36 bucks. it is a fully working vagcom 10.6.0 cable. will clear your code. but from what op is saying it sounds like a clock spring issue. which wouldnt be a code clear. but a costly repair. op you car is a 2007 but if your under 50,000 miles your still in your 4th yr. go to dealership. its not a cheap fix. airbags save lifes get it fixed.but the 36 buck cable could tell ya these things. i have programed many cars with mine.as well as auto scanned them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if its a mkv you wont be able to clear his code. you need a can bus cable. i know where to look for a newer version pm me il send ya link. i dont wanna post here. but i use it cost me 36 bucks. it is a fully working vagcom 10.6.0 cable. will clear your code. but from what op is saying it sounds like a clock spring issue. which wouldnt be a code clear. but a costly repair. op you car is a 2007 but if your under 50,000 miles your still in your 4th yr. go to dealership. its not a cheap fix. airbags save lifes get it fixed.but the 36 buck cable could tell ya these things. i have programed many cars with mine.as well as auto scanned them.
I scanned my car an it says that either the driver's side airbag is too large or the voltage for the ignitor is too high.

·
Registered
56 Posts
haven't dove into mine yet, but I have a similar Issue. Though I've found my horn is actually missing. and doesnt seem to be going off all the time either (so no reason for it to have been removed.)

And since I didn't see it answered, the horn should be located underneath the battery, in front of the wheel well, big open space nothing else there. Least on my mk4 Jetta.

·
Registered
8 Posts
haven't dove into mine yet, but I have a similar Issue. Though I've found my horn is actually missing. and doesnt seem to be going off all the time either (so no reason for it to have been removed.)

And since I didn't see it answered, the horn should be located underneath the battery, in front of the wheel well, big open space nothing else there. Least on my mk4 Jetta.
Possibly your car was doing the same as mine and the previous owner removed it? When my air bag warning light first came on, it horn would sound intermittently while making turns, and sometimes while just driving down the road. Eventually, I pulled the fuse to keep this from happening, but it sounds like they may have been having the same problem and decided to remove the horn instead of just pulling the fuse.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Possibly your car was doing the same as mine and the previous owner removed it? When my air bag warning light first came on, it horn would sound intermittently while making turns, and sometimes while just driving down the road. Eventually, I pulled the fuse to keep this from happening, but it sounds like they may have been having the same problem and decided to remove the horn instead of just pulling the fuse.
All I know for sure right now is that it didnt have power with the key on, unless I pressed it as normal. But that was sitting in the air, not under driving conditions. I'll know when I get one back in.

And for your airbag.. Have you checked it? Get a manual of sorts, tear that section apart and inspect it. First step should always be assessment, visual or other. Codes just tell you where to look.

·
Registered
8 Posts
And for your airbag.. Have you checked it? Get a manual of sorts, tear that section apart and inspect it. First step should always be assessment, visual or other. Codes just tell you where to look.[/QUOTE]

On my vehicle, I dont remember if I had the code checked, or if I just assumed it is the clock spring based on the fact that the horn would randomly blow. On the plus side, when this first started happening the wife had great fun driving around wondering when the next time the horn was going to go crazy while she was on the main roads in our small town.:lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts