VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is anyone else having a problem with their remote? mine seems to be dying - and half the time my alarm doesnt turn on and half the doors dont lock. it also doesnt work if i am more than 5 feet away from the car. anyone got any ideas?

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Here is another helpful hint. To get better range on the remote hold it up to your chin. You can arm, lock & unlock your car up to 30 feet away. You body will act as a antenea.

(Note: 50% of the MK4 users here will be running outside to try this)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hold it up to your chin???
wtf.
i am sitting on top of a US Navy ship - i can see my car behind a fence about 25 feet away and im standing on the damn rail. i hold it to my chin - press buttons - nothing. I think the bat-trees are hosed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DropTopVeeDub...:
um try replacing the batteries in the remote that should help<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

man WTF @ you too. i know the batteries are prolly dead but im talking about other problems too. like the alarm not turning on half the time and crap like that. The doors still lock but the alarm wont beep. - please dont insult me again.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phunyguy:
man WTF @ you too. i know the batteries are prolly dead but im talking about other problems too. like the alarm not turning on half the time and crap like that. The doors still lock but the alarm wont beep. - please dont insult me again.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehehe. Now now, don't piss off a Navy Seaman.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Remote on the chin. Could it be that the metal fillings in people's teeth act like the antena? I should bring this up to my dentist on my next six month visit.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Actually I've also found that flipping the key gets you better range too; I guess the key acts as an antenna also. Yeah my alarm didn't beep for a while, turns out if you push the radio in (2002), it works again! I suppose it's all connected. It's a bitch though, because once I parked uphill and I guess it must not have been all the way in it kinda slipped a bit and tripped my alarm. Good ol' VW...

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I know yours is a jetta, so dont freak on me, but I couldnt get the alarm to beep on mine for about the first two months, and it turns out that I was never getting the hatch closed all the way. it was enough to turn off the light and make the latch noise, but it wasn't making the connection for the alarm to beep. so you might just try goin around and slamin all the doors good.

·
Registered
112 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by db:

(Note: 50% of the MK4 users here will be running outside to try this)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I'm at least going to wait until I go out somewhere in a an hour....

I've noticed that sometimes my remote will work from pretty far away, but sometimes not until i am very close. Would flipping the key out randomly account for that? i don't think that's it...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
hehehe. Now now, don't piss off a Navy Seaman.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

navy seaman? navy SEAMAN??? LMAO. i havent been a seaman in years. give me a little credit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fli gti:
I know yours is a jetta, so dont freak on me, but I couldnt get the alarm to beep on mine for about the first two months, and it turns out that I was never getting the hatch closed all the way. it was enough to turn off the light and make the latch noise, but it wasn't making the connection for the alarm to beep. so you might just try goin around and slamin all the doors good.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats a good idea and thanks for the info - but see the weird part is - i could stand there and press the lock button and it wouldn't beep.. then unlock it and press it again and it beeps. but.. also i found out... even when it doesnt beep the alarm is still engaged. I sat in the car, shut all the doors and used my remote to lock the doors. no beep. then i stuck the key in the egnition.... MEEEEEEEP MEEEEEEP MEEEEEEP MEEEEEEEP MEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!!!!!!! i guess it still works just no beep when i press the key... weird huh?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by butang:

Hey, I'm at least going to wait until I go out somewhere in a an hour....

I've noticed that sometimes my remote will work from pretty far away, but sometimes not until i am very close. Would flipping the key out randomly account for that? i don't think that's it...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well don't forget that the air density around you changes constantly which will pretty much guarantee that your range will vary by .01 to .02 inches.

As per Phunyguy: Credit is due where credit is due. If I was your captain and I would catch you on this forum you would be doing 100 pushups right now. SALUTE !!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:

As per Phunyguy: Credit is due where credit is due. If I was your captain and I would catch you on this forum you would be doing 100 pushups right now. SALUTE !!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SIR, YES SIR!!!!

were you military at all?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hrharerhrehrahahrherhhrerhrhehahhrar!!!... yooo so faaaahhneeeee!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My first question to Phunyguy is: Does your remote work better when you are at home? I am in the Navy also, and I have found that here at NAS Oceana, I have to hold my remote up to a window to get my remote to work, and at the Naval Base in Norfolk, I can't get my remote to work at all. I think it has something to do with all the radar from the ships and stuff. Sometimes my remote will work from about 5 feet away on Oceana, but at NOB I can't get it to work at all.. I could lay on my roof holding my remote to my chin, and no joy. You should probably change your batteries for good measure, and shipmate, do yourself a favor and dont stand on the bow of the ship dangling your keys from your chin anymore. You might find yourself in medical getting a fit for duty pshyc screening.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts