VW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would some of the things i would need to convert my 03 1.8 gti to allwheel drive? How much do u think it would run me? Would i be able to keep my engine i have now? the audi a4 has the same engine as me but u can get it quatro, could i use things off the a4?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
The easiest way to convert your GTI to all wheel drive would be to get the parts from an Audi TT or A3, since they are built on the same platform as your GTI, whereas the other Audis aren't. Since A3s are not available in the US or Canada, the TT is your only option.

You need the rear floorpan, gas tank, rear suspension, rear axles, haldex differential, driveshaft, and the AWD adapter for the transmission. Not only must you get the above, you have to run all the necessary electronics and wiring to tell the AWD what to do.

Unless you are an experienced technician or know someone who is, I would not recommend doing this on your own. If you want to get a general idea as to what is involved, HPA Motorsports does the AWD conversions (they call them GT6 conversions) and their website is www.HPAMotorsports.com

I personally want to do this to mine, and if I end up doing it on my own, most of you will hear about it here first...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
HPA is definitely the hotness. I wish I had the loot for a twin turbo AWD setup from them. (c'mon powerball)

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gti20thAEinDE:
HPA is definitely the hotness. I wish I had the loot for a twin turbo AWD setup from them. (c'mon powerball)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

damn they have some crazy performance packages and i want that r32!!(come on super 7)

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gti20thAEinDE:
HPA is definitely the hotness. I wish I had the loot for a twin turbo AWD setup from them. (c'mon powerball)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want to see you worrying about making your dub twin turbo AWD after winning the Powerball. I'd really would like to see that.

You wouldn't get any exotic car and 10 chicks in it... now would you? LOL

Just teasin'

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
I want to see you worrying about making your dub twin turbo AWD after winning the Powerball. I'd really would like to see that.

Just teasin'
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would!!! hahaha. HPA has some SICK SICK SICK turbo packages.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
AWD 1.8T was my plan for my GTI. It is of course crazy (as Carson demonstrated above) but if I keep my Mk4 that is the ultimate plan. Quattro Mk4 =

But what I am really hoping for is a factory solution from VW to rescue me from my insanity...we'll see if that happens...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:

Just teasin'
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd definitely keep the gti if I won powerball. It would please me more to turn it into an insane driving machine than to go out and buy something that already is. What's the fun in that?

I'd definitely buy some sick cars if I won but, I wouldn't get rid of my dub.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Me either man, I'd play it low key.

I'd buy an R32 immediately, but it would be my lightly modified daily driver...the real fun car would be my GTI...AWD, insane motor work, etc.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
I've found imported 4-motion systems for about $3500 complete with the rear suspension and tranny, ecu, and the haldex factory service manual. RPI can get you a complete system if you want.

I started on the hard work of the Syncro system into the Rabbit today. Out came the motor, trans, rear beam, fuel tank and exhaust. I had to cut out the spare tire well and we started mounting the rear diff and suspension. Pictures... probably tomorrow.

·
Registered
345 Posts
mMmm.....AWD GTI wit Turbo upgrade

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
Me either man, I'd play it low key.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i honestly think it would be impossible for me and many people to keep winning the lottery low key.

i'd awd my gti and put one crazy ass turbo in it with a loud ass blow off valve!

[ January 18, 2004: Message edited by: 1point8T ]

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1point8T:
i honestly think it would be impossible for me and many people to keep winning the lottery low key.

i'd awd my gti and put one crazy ass turbo in it with a loud ass blow off valve!

[ January 18, 2004: Message edited by: 1point8T ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
yeah I think it is impossible to win the jackpot a few times in a row (the odds are against you). I would build a super crazy AWD sleeper. low key baby. and just KILL american muscle.

[ January 19, 2004: Message edited by: silverGTI ]

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Josh Fryauff:
Hope you got lots of money stiing around, this conversion isn't cheap!
HPA charges between $11,000, and $14,000 for this work.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh is that all....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts