VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been having problems with the altenator in my 92 turbo diesel. As soon as the RPM's go over 2500 the tach drops and the alt light comes on. I've replaced the belt and that didn't help. I rebuilt the altenator this spring, so i don't think that is the problem. I think it might be the AC belt slipping because the alt is driven off the AC pulley. I've tried to tighten that, but it aint getting any tighter.

The AC doesn't work in my car, so i might try to bypass it. Do i just take the pulleys off of a non-AC car and adapt them, is it more complicated than that?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
the best wya to delete your ac is to find a car in a salvage yard that has the same options and use the pulleys. There's quite a few different ones. I know somone who did it and it took a while to find the right pulleys and to get it to line up right. good luck. another thing you might want to check is the cable. make sure it's in good shape and has good connections.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Turn on all the accesories and try it again. If something is slipping you should be able to hear it, especially with the headlights and such on.

I'm going to take a guess and say alternator... just because they never work like new again... no matter who rebuilds them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts