VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the one in my 2003 2.0l Volkswagen golf GL is bad. Dealership says 600$ to replace. I think that sounds a little high so I wanted to try it myself.

How involved is this job? Can I do it myself without requiring specialized tools? What do I need to do to get the car ready for the uninstall? Ive never worked on my VW before and was wondering if any of you kind fellas could tell me the particulars on what exactly I would need to do or direct me to a step by step because I would really like to try this myself.

Also, how do I discover what part I need to order? I saw that there are two different ones which could be it.

Thanks, John

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
its not easy for a guy who has never touched a vw in his life to do

id say go to a local shop if they charge more than 300-350 dont do it that dealer was trying to rip u a new one with that price i used to work at a vw dealer and 600 for an alternator is outrageous

·
Registered
962 Posts
If I remember right from when I had my 2.0 the alt wasn't that bad at all. I believe it was just a matter of taking the serp belt off and undoing the bolts/wiring conntections for the alt.

I could be wrong though as I'm having a hard time remembering what the engine bay looked like.

Either way $600 to replace the alt is just ridculous. The alt will run you abour $100 after the core refund on your bad alt and an hour or so to put it on.

If you need to have a shop do it don't take it to a dealer. Stealerships are always super pricey. VW dealer here is $100/hr labor. My private garage is $70/hr labor. Not to mention that the dealer always seems to have a higher markup on parts.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I did my alt on my golf 2.0 last summer. its a cake walk. I never touched an alternator before in my life and I was able to take it out go somewhere and have it tested and put it back in, in under a hour. only tools you need is a pry bar or big ass screw driver,15mm wrench only, believe its a 10mm socket/wrench, 13mm socket/wrench. pretty sure that was it. If you want i can make you a full DIY with everything you need to do/know when to do this. hardest part doing it was getting the belt looped back on right..but that only took a few minutes.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
^ that's a 1.8t not a 2.0. They're pretty different in changing alternators. I'll make a DIY up tonight probably.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts