VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I'm doing an Alternator upgrade and am literally stuck at the last hurdle of physically removing the alternator.

Check the pic's below for my set-up (1.6SE BCB '03)

My questions are:

1: I have not put in the 'maintenance position' yet but is the direction of alternator removal TOWARDS the bumper & NOT left or right? Or is it up/down?

2: I have removed on the alternator the two long bolts, the positive to alternator & 8mm small nut to rear of alternator so is there ANY other things holding this on?

3: If I need to pry it out where to put the crow/pry-bar? See pic for idea of to the rear of alternator near the engine?

4: Just how the flip do I get this out as when I pull left/right/up/down the whole engine moves!!!

I have followed my Haynes (not very helpful for last stage) and read several forum posts on this so this is testing my manhood/want to replace the alternator so let me know what works before I give up / contemplate paying the stealership £200 just to remove the heavy little frigger! :mad:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
you have to pry the alternator towards the radiator. it is a very tight fit in the bracket that holds it

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
just beat that some bitch with a hammer until something happens.. im kidding.. a well placed prybar should do the trick

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
i bet he'll be back for reinstall... lol

i sanded the slightest bit of the brackets off with a metal file so the alt. was still very snug. it just made it easier to reinstall.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
No vwGLI I ain't back for the re-install but a bit more on the removal...

After a long time I came back to this problem for a second go, got my pry-bar out and managed to move in 1/2 an inch or so and am now faced with this problem...

It looks like from the pictures that the Power Steering thin metal pipe is just in the way so my question is; can I undo the nut at the top (see Pic) of the Power Steering and move the bar out the way?

Is this pipe under pressure i.e. do I need to de-pressurise elsewhere or just catch the fluid that may come out?

Other forums are talking about removing the air con compressed below the alternator so is this the better route?

2003 1.6 BCB (important info as most pics in Haynes manuals look like pre 2002)

·
4,054 Posts
For your next project do yourself a favor and ditch the Haynes manual for a Bentley one. It'll basically turn into your bible haha

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
when all else fails get a bigger hammer and a bigger prybar and do her right

but in all seriousness the 1.6 is from across the pond i personally have never worked on one but from the pics i can tell you, you need to take that p/s hard line out and move it to the side take all the bolts completely out of the alternator that hold it to the bracket spray some penetrating lubricant like wd-40 or what i always use is pb blaster. after you have it soaked up nice and well take your pry bar and seat it right on the hard part where the bolt slides trough on the casing of the alternator (not one of the fins or slots they break very easily and then you ruined your core) and give it a nice whack with your hammer on the end of your pry bar and it should unseat it. if that fails sometimes ive had to take the entire bracket out with the alternator (ive done this when a bolt snapped on me had to get a bolt out from behind the alt idk how i did it but i got it out and the whole thing literally dropped out) and get it out that way. best of luck to you and also from the looks of it in the picture you have to take out the condesner fan for it to come out and clear the radiator on its way to the ground lol.

happy wrenching :K:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks 05GTI1.8T, very helpful reply

Just to clarify few points you put;

In "taking the P/S Line out the way" is that unbolting that top nut (see my previous pic) and/or removing the P/S Pump? If former only, is it under pressure or can I just undo nut, pop out hard line pipe and so give myself a bit more of room?

For the "taking out the condenser fan" are you talking about the fan behind the radiator or the A/C Compressor below the alternator?

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks 05GTI1.8T, very helpful reply

Just to clarify few points you put;

In "taking the P/S Line out the way" is that unbolting that top nut (see my previous pic) and/or removing the P/S Pump? If former only, is it under pressure or can I just undo nut, pop out hard line pipe and so give myself a bit more of room?
the power steering is only under pressure when the engine is running the serpentine belt. you will however lose fluid and possibly introduce air into the system requiring a bleed to flush it before you drive again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts