VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking either a Golf, Tiburon, or Saturn so obviously im gonna go VW
Im thinking 2000 or 2001 Golf 2.0 4door which will get bought this summer and upgraded this winter. Hopefully i can find one for around 7gs. Ive seen posts telling people not to get 2.0s but is this only because they don't have turbos? One of things I plan on doing over the winter is installing a garret t25 turbo kit I found for $2800 (supposedly a 56%hp increase)

Some other things I have planned are a nice basic sound system ($1000, 2 12's, new factory speakers, alpine head, 2 alpine amps, all polk speakers)

I also plan on doing the other basic stuff, new rims (17s or 18s) xenon lights, cai, catback exhaust, lightweight flywheel, port&polish, etc.

How does this sound? Is the 2.0 a good car for what im trying to do or should I go vr6. Is there any mods I should definately get done because of the turbo? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
471 Posts
First of all, Welcome to VWF!!
Please don't allow the opinions of narrow-minded individuals disuade you from purchasing a VW 2.0. VW's 2.0 is a practical, solid powerplant with a fairly wide variety of aftermarket tuning options.
Good luck finding your car!

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
if you have that much money to spend, go 1.8t. you will be much happier. more power gains for less money. And if you need 4-doors, vw made the 2000 golf 1.8t-rare, but you might be able to find one. good luck. welcome to the forum!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by creagit2003:
I was thinking either a Golf, Tiburon, or Saturn so obviously im gonna go VW
Im thinking 2000 or 2001 Golf 2.0 4door which will get bought this summer and upgraded this winter. Hopefully i can find one for around 7gs. Ive seen posts telling people not to get 2.0s but is this only because they don't have turbos? One of things I plan on doing over the winter is installing a garret t25 turbo kit I found for $2800 (supposedly a 56%hp increase)

Some other things I have planned are a nice basic sound system ($1000, 2 12's, new factory speakers, alpine head, 2 alpine amps, all polk speakers)

I also plan on doing the other basic stuff, new rims (17s or 18s) xenon lights, cai, catback exhaust, lightweight flywheel, port&polish, etc.

How does this sound? Is the 2.0 a good car for what im trying to do or should I go vr6. Is there any mods I should definately get done because of the turbo? Thanks for the help
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since your gonna spend $2800 on a turbo for the Golf 2.0. You should just invest that money into a 1.8t. The Garrett T25 will not give you to much hp as a Stock 1.8T would, I think. So just invest that $2800 into a 1.8T 4 Door Golf (Very Rare) as brian(SilverGTI) said. You will be much happier, and for just about $450 more, you can chip your car and easily get well over 200hp and 240torque. Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Why not to get a 2.0
- Way underpowered when compared to 1.8T and VR6 engines. A 56% power increase will get you approximately 150~160 hp AT THE CRANK!

Like Brian mentioned, if you have that much money to mod the car, go with the 1.8T platform. Why?

- Start out with 150 or 180 at the crank(depending on which engine code)

- You'll be in the 200 WHEEL horse power range with a chip (~$500), Intake ($150~200) and catback exhaust(wide range - $600 high end.) These #s dont depend on the engine code, ALL 1.8Ts will result in similar gains.

Those are just the cold hard numbers.

My opinion,
You'll have more fun hauling ass on the 33 and the thruway with a 1.8T.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What would be the best route to 300hp if money wasn't a big issue? Is the VR6 a turbo like the 1.8t or is it just a bigger engine? Is it possible to upgrade the 1.8t to something around the likes of a t3 or t4? Right now I see my goal as getting as close to 300hp as I can get in a post 2000 4dr vw golf.

·
Registered
345 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by creagit2003:
What would be the best route to 300hp if money wasn't a big issue? Is the VR6 a turbo like the 1.8t or is it just a bigger engine? Is it possible to upgrade the 1.8t to something around the likes of a t3 or t4? Right now I see my goal as getting as close to 300hp as I can get in a post 2000 4dr vw golf.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To get a 1.8T to roughly 300hp, you would need a Turbo Upgrade. go to : http://www.goapr.com for more information. Usually it would around 5g's to get it up to roughly 300hp.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
You can do it for under 5g's but to do it right it would be close to that.

You will need to upgrade clutch and get an LSD.
The APR+ kit is comming out sometime soon and it is rated at 385hp/365lb-tq for about 5500.
Check out ATP and their kits, keep in mind they are not complete kits so some more money will need to be spent to get it running at its best.

50trim T3/To4e works great with the 1.8t A t4 would be to large to be good as a daily driver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found the difference between the 1.8 and vr6. I like the idea of having a bigger 2.7L v6 rather than a 1.8L 4cylinder that is turbo charged to start with. Thanks for all the suggestions on turbo kits as well.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I would go with 1.8t. they are built for turbo already. I understand a N/A (naturally aspirated) engine wont last as long as an engine that was built for F/I. I'd go 1.8t, stage3 turbo upgrade + clutch and LSD (like dakoda said). best of luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts