VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Cabrio, 140k miles. It's my daughter's car and I've been tossing money at it left and right. Right front axle, tie rods, tires, most of the 100k mile stuff. The engine is sound after plugs, rotor and other basic tune up stuff... it runs great.

Problem now is the tranny. It's slipping in and out a little bit and taking too long to shift into the lower gears. I took it to the local german mechanic and he said it's time for a seal job as it's leaking from multiple places. Also said it's probably best to sell the car as we're at the point where the problems are going to be in the above $500 range.

He supposedly topped the fluid off, but it's still slipping and I'm not noticing puddles of fluid in the driveway. So I hook up the OBDII and reset the dozen or so codes. I didn't take note of them all as at that point, it was going to be driven to the dealer and traded. Problem is once I reset the codes, the slipping has dramatically reduced and it's shifting better.

I called a few transmission shops in the area... one asked how many miles were on the car. When I told him 140, he said "get rid of it". The other shop was glad to take my money and when I asked about the Volkswagen tranny in these things, he told me they were decent little guys that would last a long time and he wasn't particularly concerned about the mileage.

My daughter loves the car (it's her first) and it's running great. It's got a LOT of bugaboos though. The door lock cylinder fell apart, so you have to lock/unlock with the key fob. Once that goes, we're in trouble. The convertible top motor works but apparently the cable broke somewhere as it's not raising/lowering.

There are so many electrical ghosts in this car it's not funny. Sometimes the windows work, sometimes they don't. Sometimes the windshield wipers won't turn off. Give it a night's rest, and everything's fine again. The high pressure service port of the AC was leaking and it was going to be a $700 repair so I allowed them to epoxy the valve, rendering it unserviceable, but it's been working great for the last two months.

I guess what I'm ultimately asking at the end of this diatribe is "is the transmission in these things worth dumping money into or am I just going to pay for a $700 seal job now and have more problems in 3 months?"

Thanks for reading.

·
4,054 Posts
Sounds like you'd dump money into the trans and still end up having the other reoccuring issues like usual.

I say it's time for a new car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you'd dump money into the trans and still end up having the other reoccuring issues like usual.

I say it's time for a new car.
Yeah, that's my initial thought too, I just don't want to go to a dealership and punch someone in the face when they offer me $500 for a car I've put $700 into in the last three months.
:p

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
If its an automatic then yes. Sell it soon as possible.
Cabrio's and Passats are the demon spawns of Volkswagen. They are just left over parts bolted together to make a car. I tell everyone don't ever buy one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If its an automatic then yes. Sell it soon as possible.
Cabrio's and Passats are the demon spawns of Volkswagen. They are just left over parts bolted together to make a car. I tell everyone don't ever buy one.
Thanks, that honestly makes me feel better, which I realize is weird to say. I felt like it needed to go, but wanted to hear it from folks in the know.

I'll take it to a stealership later today and see what they offer. If it's too low, I'll sell it outright with the disclaimer that it needs a seal job.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Fubar his the nail on the head.

The next person to get it might be able to save the trans if they throw money at it. But left like this it's only got a few thousand miles to go. In the long run this trans will never be worth what it cost to maintain. That includes crap gas mileage cause the damn thing can't properly put power to the floor.

Maybe you can find a manual gti for her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts