VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking of buying a bus and taking it down south, to get away from the cold canadian winters. I'm off work each year from Dec. 1 - Mar. 1. I really like the idea of owning an early model westfalia, but I've been told that a newer, 80's and up, vanagon is a much better way to go.

What do you guys think, any suggestions? Are there any other bus owners on the forum?

·
Registered
6 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TailpipeSmokeshow:
I've been thinking of buying a bus and taking it down south, to get away from the cold canadian winters. I'm off work each year from Dec. 1 - Mar. 1. I really like the idea of owning an early model westfalia, but I've been told that a newer, 80's and up, vanagon is a much better way to go.

What do you guys think, any suggestions? Are there any other bus owners on the forum?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sounds like a great idea! i live in southern california and drove my bus from northern cali and had a blast. total road trip. just make sure that you've got a few extra parts handy and that you know how to work on the old girl.

·
Registered
6 Posts
...sorry...anyway...
i love the type 1 motor bus' just because of the simplicity of it. and there are also no smog regulations on them. the 67 and older models can get pretty expensive, especially one that's capable of making the long trip. i suggest a 71,
...it's got disc breaks, and still has that upright type 1 motor. you can find a nice one for less than 3k too! motor is easy to rebuild and work on if somethings goes wrong. so i hope that this helped you out...good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
this guy around the corner from my house has like 3 or 4 bus's right in his front yard grass..... probably all around the same year, very little difference in between them all but its real cool, ill take a pic of them and try to post it

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
A kid in high school was rebuilding a 73 i think and last i saw it (4 years ago) it was coming along. He put racing seats in the front and back, made a glass cover for the engine and cromeing it out, putting glass packs in, make it a deep purple with phantom flames, and a killer system in it. I did run into a mutual friend not to long ago and asked how the bus was and said it was in the same condition 4 years ago. the kid ended up going down to the carribians and cooking on cruise ships for a few years and just returned recently, i might have to stop by and say hi someday soon and check it out. the kid also had a A1 rabbit totally redone in high school.
jon

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I knew a dude once who worked with me while I was at the U.W.O.

He painted his black and white and one day packed his shit and moved to Vancouver or somewhere like Wistler (sp?) as he is a snowboarder. Never heard from him since.

DAN was his name so if anybody sees a black and white bus and a dude that looks like SHAGGY from scoobie doo say Hi from me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts