VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a 2001 2.0 Jetta for daily driving duties. So far it runs excellent, but my check engine light is on. The reason that I came here s to see if anyone can help me out with the codes.

I bought the car from a towing business because it is an abandoned car, and 10 minutes after buying the car the check engine light came on. I replaced the MAF with one from another Jetta and the CE light turned off. About a day later the CE light came back on and using my handheld OBDII scanner I got codes p0420, p1472, p0445 and p0141. Googling these codes it looks like I should start with the cat, but I'm resistant to that because of the price. Does anyone have any good ideas where I should start to look into to get rid of the codes so that I can pass Pa emissions testing?

I just went out and cleaned the MAF and unhooked my battery(black cable) and the check engine was off, but I was still getting a p0102 code which I believe is a MAF code.

Anyone have a good idea where to start?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Disconnect your MAF and see if it runs better. If it does, clean it up with some CRC MAF Cleaner. If that fails then you'll have to save up for a new MAF. P0420 just means your cat isn't working properly. You can about this many ways. You can cover up the code by throwing an O2 extender to reduce the emission it's picking up or get a new cat or get a 3 inch exhaust with an O2 extender. P0141 is your post cat O2 crapping out. Get this replaced before replacing the cat to see if this will clear up the P0420 code.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks messupdude, I'll check out the post cat O2 sensor as soon as I get the chance. Can you recommend a good place to get one? Also is there any way to test it before I buy a new one, or is that a waste of time? I apologize, I'm not in tune with foreign cars at all. Is a place like RockAuto.com a good place or are there better places to buy import parts?

·
Registered
128 Posts
You located in Canada? If so, rockauto is your friends cause of our shitty 400% mark up on parts. Or you can buy it from amazon and make a sprint across the border. Double check your wiring isn't all screwed up before purchasing one. Don't get the ones with the splice when buying one. Make sure its an actual plug. There's no point of test; they crap out whenever they want to.

VAG COM is your friend. Grab a cheapy vag cable from ebay and get a trial copy of vcds lite. It'll help you get more in depth analysis information on your car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Been down that road. I still can't get it to clear. if you have the AZG motor, and high miles, you most likely have a cat that is clogging up as the piston rings were installed upside down in all these motors causing o2 sensor fouling and premature catalytic converter failure. both the engines and the cats were recalled. unfortunately I had too many miles on mine to get them replaced for free by the time the recalls came out. I just hollowed it out and unplugged the MAF for the time being until I can verify everything else that's wrong with it. it got so bad I couldn't climb a slight incline because there was no flow. My buddy that cut it out said it's the worst he's ever seen and he worked at a muffler shop for several years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No improvements yet. I installed the new O2 sensor, but the light hasn't gone away. I have an appointment to get it inspected tomorrow. I'm gonna reset the light tonight, but they probably won't even test it then.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, she passed her emissions testing! I reset the CEL and tried a new garage! I think I am going to put a thermostat on it relatively soon because it took 23 minutes with highway driving to warm up the other morning and it was 45 degrees outside. Even when it got to 190 it still swayed a bit. I'm thinking the thermostat is stuck open because there is no way it should take that long to heat up.

I'm a Mustang guy at heart, and after looking at videos of changing a Jetta thermostat I can understand why! Changing ti seems like a PITA!! Thank you very much!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Well, she passed her emissions testing! I reset the CEL and tried a new garage! I think I am going to put a thermostat on it relatively soon because it took 23 minutes with highway driving to warm up the other morning and it was 45 degrees outside. Even when it got to 190 it still swayed a bit. I'm thinking the thermostat is stuck open because there is no way it should take that long to heat up.

I'm a Mustang guy at heart, and after looking at videos of changing a Jetta thermostat I can understand why! Changing ti seems like a PITA!! Thank you very much!
nice.
it is annoying. mine would take forever to get to 190, and it wouldnt stay at 190 either, it would sway. my thermostat was stuck open. the annoying part is the alternator.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha, yeah it is annoying! Thankfully it is summertime right now though!

Since this was an abandoned car and I don't have any idea of the maintenance history is there any easy way to check if the timing belt has been done?

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Ask the belt, they're usually pretty honest about their age.

Look at the belt and tensioner, if they don't look bran new then change them. :?
Abandoned car = spectacular previous owner? Do you want to eat the cost of valves.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hear what you are saying shameless and I would typically agree with you, but the car is extremely clean and it doesn't even have a ding on it. I think it was taken care of fairly well, but want to make sure I don't have major problems in the future.

When is the normal time to change out a timing belt and water pump?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I hear what you are saying shameless and I would typically agree with you, but the car is extremely clean and it doesn't even have a ding on it. I think it was taken care of fairly well, but want to make sure I don't have major problems in the future.

When is the normal time to change out a timing belt and water pump?
I believe the manual says to change it every 60k

1 - 20 of 20 Posts