VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess what I just got a job at my local dealer as a tech I've been a tech for ford for over 2 years, then I bought my GTI and it influenced me to work on these things. But my main concern is tools, I have over $20,000 invested in tools but I dont know what speicailty tools I may need. The snap on guy helped me with a few (17mm drain plug socket and a couple 12 point driver bits) Will I need to buy anything else out of the ordinary before I start. I start in 2 weeks. Thanks for any help. and oh yea what am I in for switching over from ford to VW?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Not sure what they provide at the dealership but vws ave a different tool for everything. Luckily most jobs can be done without the tools or with cleverly crafted imitations.

I'm sure Carson will be able to fill in the details.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Welcome to a better company than Ford!

Common tools that I use all the time:

Triple Square sockets
Rear disc brake piston tool
T10029 Spark Plug Wire Remover tool
Windshield Wiper arm/Battery Terminal remover (real handy)
Some real big hex keys (on sockets preferably)
36MM Hub Socket (VR6 oil filters)

You'll learn as you go along what you need to buy in regard to specialty tools. VW likes to use Torx and Triple square fasteners a lot. Make sure your Metric sockets are all organized as well.

Good luck, and feel free to ask me any questions you may have (like anyone else on here).

·
Registered
252 Posts
well ya gotta have the BAS (big ass screwdriver) and the BFH (big f*cking hammer) those are just basic tools needed for every car.jk Other than that sounds like your off to a good start with the 12 point drivers. I took out most of my interior and the front bumper off with just the 12 point drivers. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
You already have the 12 point sockets (aka triple square)...Yes the brake tool is the twist in type...and the tool you need for the spark plug wires is VW T10029, and its not a pair of pliers. Do a search on the internet or Ebay and you will find it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts