VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there with an 02 W8, I just bought one. I sell VW at Youngblood VW in Springfield, MO and just wanted to see if anybody else has one or what.

Also, any aftermarket stuff made for this hot rod yet?

cranford

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
nope i'm waiting for the W12 to come out!!

I haven't seen any W8's around where i live yet. Also i haven't heard anyone making mods for them.
jon

·
Registered
202 Posts
^^^Didn't they cancel the Nardo/Racasse/whatever W12 supercar?

Anyhoo, I haven't seen much in the way of W8 mods, it's a new engine, and now that it's being canceled...

You could probably get some custom chip/exhaust/turbo stuff though, it would just require a bunch o cash...

[ September 09, 2002: Message edited by: dirtjumpwill ]

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
vw is comin out with the w-12 in 2004, in the new Phaeton model. Its a 6.0L with 420 hp. The Phaeton is supposed to have all wheel drive w/ electronic differential and air suspension. also, navigation standard and a power operated trunk lid WOW --> a power operated trunk lid (technology is the shit)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
so when is the wonderful W12 coming out? and i am guessing that it wont be in America. I have been following that car since it started in like 96 or something like that but i have lost info in it for the last year or so. if anyone has any links for it, please let me know. thanks

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I just got my new issue of Europeancar and they had a article on the Phaeton. Here's what it said about the engine.
" U.S. flagship engine is a sweet 420-bhp 6.0-liter W12, an extremely rigid and compact amalgam of two small V6 modules joined at a 72-degree angle. Cylinder angles are 15 degree; each has four valves and overhead combustion champer with centrally located spark plug, Four chain diriven cmashafts are adjustable on both intake and exhaust sides. A dual-path magnesium intake manifold broadens the 405 lb-ft of torgue. Combustion is by singlespark ignition coils; fuel is contolled by VW's E-gas system. Other technical details include dual balance shafts; wet sump lubrication; oil-spray jets to cool pistions; and innovations to the cooling system, including a water coolled generator. Four pre-cats and two main cats help the car meet the most rigorous exhaust gas standards. Powerful enought to take the car to 62 mph in 6.1 sec. and effortlessly attain the electronically limited top end of 155 mph, the W12 at rest is so quiet it can fool the driver into thinking it's stalled. It's a marvel of engineering that performs marvelously. Not being offed here are a new 3.2 liter 241-bhp V6 developed from the 2.8 and a magnificent new 5.0 liter V10 turbodiesel with 313 bhp and 406lb-ft of torque. the V8 is not being sold in Europe."
The base Phaeton for the U.S. , with the 330-bhp 4.2 liter V8 from Audis 2004 A8 is expected to for for around $60,000, and the W12 will be about $75,000 and will go on sale next year.
jon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know what they're comming out with, I'm mostly the first to hear about it.

Considering I sell the damn cars.

Cranford

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I'm sure you are one of the first to know about it, but many people don't have a clue on what's coming out. Also, dirtjumpwill said, "Anyhoo, I haven't seen much in the way of W8 mods, it's a new engine, and now that it's being canceled..." they are already canceling the W8?? i couldn't imagine them not making it anymore after they were making such a big deal about.
jon

·
Registered
202 Posts
I kinda think that's just a rumor now...even if they did cancel the Passat W8(low sales + infringing on Phaeton territory...), then they'd stll use the W8 in the Audi A8...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The W8 will stay around, the base Phaton will be a W8, then the big motor will be the W12. From what we've been told. And Audi will still have it in the A8.

I know the W8 will be prob pulled from the Passat after 03. We have an 03 W8, 04 it will be a V6 4motion passat and a W8 and W12 4motion Phaton.

From what VW has told us.

cranford

1 - 12 of 12 Posts