VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever wonder how APR developed their enormously successful Stage 3 Transverse turbo system for the 1.8t?

APR basically turbo-charges everything - including their development procedures. The prototyping process starts on a computer desktop on which the designer (Chad Walters) creates a 3D model of a part using a CAD program (APR uses ProEngineer).

This program then loads information into an SLA machine that produces a physical model of the part by executing a process called stereolithography (invented by Charles Hull 1984). This process works by hitting a thin layer of liquid resin with a UV-Laser. Each time the laser hits the liquid resin it causes the resin to solidify at the point of contact (and apparently bonds to any adjacent solidified points).

Working from the 3D CAD information the SLA machine uses the laser to trace the pattern of the current layer. Each layer is about 1/10th of a millimeter. When the layer is finished it is swiped by blade to clean it and the process starts over for the next layer. Layer by layer the model stacks up like a deck of cards and only takes a few hours. The resin model is then loaded into a UV oven to further solidify. The end result is a physical model that can be fitted to real applications for functional analysis.

The machine is quite expensive but in the long run reduces development time. I’m sure Stephen Hooks background in endurance racing helped justify such an expensive initial investment which has definitely paid off.

Heres a screenshot

More VW pictures and Videos at http://VW.C3Cars.com

J.Schecter – C3Cars.com

·
Registered
433 Posts
thats awsome. that is exactaly what i want to do once i get out of school. i work on cad systems in school and they are so much fun to design things and then print them out and make em. maybe some day i will be able to do the same type of process that stephen hooks uses. that would be pretty cool

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
that would be alot of fun to do, i dont think i have the math skills to do it though.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
That's very cool!! Wish i had the talent to do all that. Seems like a very cool job.
jon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts