VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Quick question. I was wondering if anyone has bought and implemented an APR chip or neuspeed chip for the '98 or newer vw passat 1.8t, or the 2000 or newer jetta 1.8t. If so, could some people share their experiences....performance increases/torque increases, whether you accompanied the chip with any other mods, and if anyone has had their car dynoed with the chip. I was just wondering if the chip changed the boost by .8 bar, would new pistons need to be used?

Thanks,
Eric Formeister

·
Registered
180 Posts
i personally wouldn't consider a neuspeed chip for a forced induction car... there chips are good, but are more about price than maximum performance (don't get me wrong neuspeed is a great company...) i would recomend the garrett chip... those usually give you the most performance for your car/cars

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i say go apr. they are real close to the best if not the best. neuspeed i heard messes up ecu's and stuff and is just crap. hope i helped.
rich

·
Registered
96 Posts
i would reccomaend you check out "rocky moutain motorworks" i believe they have a chip that gives the 1.8t about 40 hp. i think its about 800 bucks but i bet its worth every penny.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Ok, it was hard for me to choose between the two at the H20 show when they both were chipping there. I went with the APR 93 octane program and got the stock program for free. I am very happy with the APR chip. It's amazing power increase. From what i have heard, giac will give you a tad more power then the APR chip, but the APR chip is smoother then the GIAC. Your best bet is to go with who's closer to you in case you have any problem with it, they are not far. Another factor is if you want a stock program so when you bring it into the dealer. Not sure if Giac is offering the stock program with its chip yet. I know they were working on having a remote that you can change it. With the APR, I can change the program from my cruise control button.
jon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts