VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was driving yesterday and with all the snow and rain we have been getting, huge potholes have been popping up everywhere! Well as i was going over a bridge, i didn't see this huge pothole because it was filled with water and it was raining real hard outside, after my front right tire got eaten by it my steering wheel started to shake real bad. After i pulled of to the side to check it out i didn't see any physical damage but if i drive real slow, my steering wheel will pull to the left then go back, then pull to the left again, almost like a pattern. The dub is at the shop but won't get looked at till Monday morning. Could it be a bent rim?? Or a tie rod?? I'm thinking bent rim cause of the pattern of the steering wheel when i go slow.
jon

Potholes

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Jon !!! Sorry to hear that dude. I am going to my brother's right now, so I'll ask him what he thinks that might be.

Talk to you on MSN later.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
sorry to hear that jon. those damn puddles and pot holes are all over! its rediculous! in zachs case, his car has been overnight on the side of the road for 2 days. he was driving and hit a puddle that happend to be like 1ft deep and his car stalled and shit. i had to go to the rescue and push it off the road. 3 other cars got STUCK in the puddle and had to get towed and they closed the road, we think its the distributer cap. hell tell you the full sorry im sure. anyway, let us know about what happend to your car man, sorry to hear it.
rich

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
OK. He said that it could be as little problem as wheel balancing. However since you are saying that it only occurs at lower speeds it sort of brings that suggestions down as unbalanced wheel will start shaking the steering wheel at around 30 MPH or higher.

Also it could be a weakened tire ring.

The more expensive problems could be the rim itself.

If you don't hear any suspicious sounds or knocking it shouldn't be too expensive to fix.

He said it is hard to narrow it down without driving the car or looking at it.

Sorry.

[ February 23, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. That sounds like what the problem will be. One thing i forgot to mention is that when i'm going about 50-60 mph, and try to go faster, the wheel will shake to the point that my keys are shaking. I should know today what the problem is.
jon

·
Registered
676 Posts
hey jon good luck with that! I have been looking to catch up with ya around town. Hope its just the tires to be honest with you. Bunch of ma boys have bent the rims with some of the potholes around town here. I have a CV joint break off from a pothole leaving the mall.

Where did you say that hole was again?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The pothole was on the southbound lane on 896 coming back from UofD!! Well I got the call from VW and not only is one rim bent, but both of the Pass side rims got bent!!!!
They guy told me for two new rims, it'll cost me about $450 each and told me i'm better of just getting aftermarket rims for just a little more $$. I'll be decieding tonight what rims but i'll need help on whats good and what's crap. So db or Thomas, or anyone else that knows rims, let me know. I'm looking possibly at deep dish or S4 rims. My SN is gti2021 on AIM and Jschimkaitis on MSN.
Thanks
Jon

·
Registered
433 Posts
sorry to hear what happend man. here are some of my wheel choices
BBS CH's my favorite

OZ Superleggera's

Brock B1's for deep dish

[ February 24, 2003: Message edited by: k2jetta98 ]

·
Registered
433 Posts
o and also Audi RS4 wheels are hot as hell on GTI's

·
Registered
844 Posts
BBS just came out with some new rims, the RS-R's and RS-GT's I believe. They have what's called a "black diamond" finish on em, and look super sweet. The RS-R's are one peice and the GT's are two peice, but both are suppost to be pretty lightwieght. I can't find em anywhere on the web, but there have been a couple of adds for em in both Eurotuner and European Car. They basically look like these...
Except with kind of a gun metal color to them. I'd call up Discount Tire and see if they can get em or not. But I think that darker color would look super smooth on your silver GTI.

·
Registered
433 Posts
here are some wheels that are a little cheaper than all the other ones posted before. im not sure how good of a brand ADR is but they look awesome... the first two come in 18x8 for the front and 18x9 for the rear!

[ February 24, 2003: Message edited by: k2jetta98 ]

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
ZACH YOU ASS! those are my rims i was gonna show! i found them adrs! hah, just kidin but they are so hott along with all the other oens posted. ill help ya find osme nice ones.

·
Registered
433 Posts
haha sorry rich, i couldn't resist they are such nice wheels for such a good price, but yes i will give you the credit for showing them to me, and rich are you ever getting those 18's for real cheap cause if you are you should resell them to jon if he likes em

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
lol hmmmm good plan

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well here's what i got!!
They are the AT Italia Riva

Here's what they look like on some cars.

I also got the Dunlops Sport 9000's with these. The overall price was more then what i wanted but for quality, i needed to pay a little more.
jon

1 - 20 of 27 Posts