VW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since audi's and vw are closely related i was wonderin if i was possible to put a audi engine in a vw with out a whole lot of customizing. cuz i would like to get that 5cly. 20valve engine that audi had in there audi quattro coupes in my mk2 jetta... is this possible?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Yes it's posible. I'm not exactly sure the exact thing needed are though. And it's a 4cyl, 20v. not a 5cyl.

jon

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
u sure its a 4cyl? i was almost positive it was a 5cyl... thats whut interested me so much bout it

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Here is the info on the 1.8t from the audi A4.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> 1.8L displacement double overhead cam (DOHC)
inline 4 cylinder configuration gas engine
20 valves variable valve timing
turbo 170 hp @ 5900 rpm
166 ft-lbs. @ 1950 rpm premium unleaded fuel
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
jon

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no no no.... im not talkin about a 1.8t. in the real late 80's audi made a car called a quattro coupe, has very similiar body style to the sciracco... well it came with a 5cyl. 20valve engine. thats engine i was wonderin bout... i need to kno if i can fit it in a mk2 jetta

·
Registered
524 Posts
I know the motor you're talking about... its a 5. but i dont know if its the smartest choice. audi had a 2.0 in the audi 80 or 90 that would drop right into our set up, no changing of anything. it uses same intake, computer, etc. im lookin to do that swap in the future

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Ahh. now i know what your talking about.
I'm just use to everyone talking about the 1.8t 20v. Sorry for the confussion.
jon

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so whut ur sayin is im better off puttin a vr6 in rather than the audi 5cyl. 20valve?

·
Registered
413 Posts
the Dahlback car has a Audi 5cyl turbo, not sure if it's the same one in question, but it might be a good choice if it fits.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
is the engine transverse? If not then i don't know thatr it would work. I mean it's possible but you say with little customizing, so it's kinda out of the question. But if it's transversethen i'm sure it can be done farly easy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just need to kno if i should put a vr6 in or a the audi 5cyl. 20 valve in? i like both but for rarity if would be aoubt the 5cyl. 20valuvue

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i just need to kno if i should put a vr6 in or a the audi 5cyl. 20 valve in? i like both but for rarity if would be aoubt the 5cyl. 20valuvue

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im not tryin to be outta question... just asskiin if i canput that engine in my car>?????????

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Wont fit... not a chance in hell, don't even think about it.

1. It's 8" longer... your engine is only a couple inches from the strut tower.
2. The bellhousing is different
3. The crankshaft bolt pattern is different
4. It doesn't make enough power stock

Dahlbacks car cost him over $300,000 USD to build.

The only way to do it would be to run the engine front to back and use an Audi drivetrain... (involves cutting out the floor, firewall, moving the rack... pretty much removing everything but the bare skin). at which point your Jetta would be almost identical to an Audi 4000 Quattro with a 20v 5cyl in it.

Dubweiser did it to a MK1 a while back... looked really stupid, wasn't that cool.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fourt1thirty:
Wont fit... not a chance in hell, don't even think about it.

1. It's 8" longer... your engine is only a couple inches from the strut tower.
2. The bellhousing is different
3. The crankshaft bolt pattern is different
4. It doesn't make enough power stock

Dahlbacks car cost him over $300,000 USD to build.

The only way to do it would be to run the engine front to back and use an Audi drivetrain... (involves cutting out the floor, firewall, moving the rack... pretty much removing everything but the bare skin). at which point your Jetta would be almost identical to an Audi 4000 Quattro with a 20v 5cyl in it.

Dubweiser did it to a MK1 a while back... looked really stupid, wasn't that cool.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what i was thinking i just wasn't sure if it was longitudal or transverse. I saw that rabbit and it looked like shit. I"m sure it moves but looked bad. Dahldach's was hot but if you notice in that the radiator and everything was movd to the rear to make room for the engine. That's probably the only way you'd get it in a jetta.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts