VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2004 jetta Gl for over 1 year and half. Yesterday I took it to a dealership for an oil change + other goodies for service because they had a very good deal. The service department said that my inner and outer tie rod ends needed to be replaced ($625.00) with alignment + labor etc etc. I read the sheet and the technician wrote that my outer tie rod ends were torn and needed replaced NOT my inner. My question is what parts do volkswagen cars really need? Can I just go to auto zone, oreilly's, pep boys, etc to buy the parts and just do the labor myself? I live in so. california in case your wondering why I posted those auto parts.

your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
653 Posts
Wow 600 for tie rod ends? if you do it yourself it will cost between 100-200 depending where you get the parts and where you take for alignment

·
Registered
121 Posts
A lot of that cost is going to be the alignment. A proper alignment for our cars runs around 2 hrs of labor. Add in dealership priced parts and that is really spot on.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Robbery.
You can do the inner and out tie rods for under $150. I try to replace my parts with oem or German parts like meyle. Moog is a good brand that some stores carry.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Tie rod alignment is too easy though. Get some string and line up with rear tires, count threads. Get it close. Trial and error for an hour or two.

Love moog. Only tie rod that doesn't screw up on me. (at least the mk4 ones)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Tie rod alignment is too easy though. Get some string and line up with rear tires, count threads. Get it close. Trial and error for an hour or two.

Love moog. Only tie rod that doesn't screw up on me. (at least the mk4 ones)
Right on.
Count the turns as you remove the outer tie rod end.
After you remove the inner, reassemble them on the work bench, using the same number of turns. Now assemble the new parts again using the same number of turns and compare the length of the new vs old. Adjust the new ones until they are the exact length of the old ones.

Now count the turns as you disassemble the new tie rod ends. Use this when doing your final assembly on the car.

Also, only do one side at a time. Adjust your toe before moving onto replacing the tie rod ends on the other side.

·
Registered
132 Posts
you can also count the number of threads, I counted the number of threads when I replaced mine and didn't need to get an alignment after I replaced both sides

1 - 9 of 9 Posts