VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you guys may know. I'm planning on turboing my 2.0 and it has the 01M auto tranny. Now I know that the auto tranny can't handle much power and torque and I know that most of you guys say that it probably won't last that long with that much power.

Is there any way to turbo the 2.0 and still be able to drive the with the auto tranny?and for how long?

What exactly would happen to the tranny?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
May I ask why you are so stuck on automatic? Yeh theres ways to turboing it and keeping the tranny safe, run 3psi like civics. Theres no point in spending the 4grand for a trubo if your only going to gain 30hp.

Sell the car, get a manual and start from there...

·
Registered
80 Posts
blah blah blah... my friend has a 2.0 turbo and hes running about 12-16 lbs of boost on a daily basis hasnt encountered any problems what so ever... good luck with your project

and his tranny has about 115,000 miles on it and has been turboed for the last 40,000 miles or so

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by n0izepollution:
blah blah blah... my friend has a 2.0 turbo and hes running about 12-16 lbs of boost on a daily basis hasnt encountered any problems what so ever... good luck with your project

and his tranny has about 115,000 miles on it and has been turboed for the last 40,000 miles or so
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On an automatic?

·
Registered
526 Posts
theres a mk2 vr6 that is automatic and drivin by hand since the guy is disabled it was in pvw a little while back. maybe just get an upgraded auto tranny..i know its possible

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Turbo vr6 shane? That is one of the reasons I asked why he wanted automatic, in the case of disability then that would be totally understandabe.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, as a matter of fact, I've been looking for a G60 02A tranny, but I have the turbo right now and want to install it before the warranty expires in June.

I bought a whole turbo kit off Ebay for $1000. All I need is a new head gasket, some fuel system parts, some new seals, and other little things, but I'm pretty much ready to install it.

So you say, if I run it at 3 pounds max., the tranny should be fine? Because if that's the case, then I'll start my project in a couple of weeks or so and hopefully get the tranny by summer.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
I was just being a jaskass. You could probably run 7-10psi and have the tranny last...10k (?) miles without to much of a problem. But I'm pretty sure it would be shot by 15-20k with a 2.0t. What products came with your ebay kit, I would be a little skepticle of an ebay turbo kit unless the parts are from good companys.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The tranny should be fine as long as you don't beat the shit out of it on a regular basis. Drive normally and only beat on it when you need to put someone it their place!

·
Registered
192 Posts
just get a 5 speed conv geez lol plz for the love of god.... i used to drive a auto matic golf and crashed it bc i got so bored when i drove haha im sure dakoda will post pic of it lol just learn how to drive stick u will be much better off and if u get a bov sounds so much better haha... g/l dont ur friends make fun of u i know mine did assholes lol

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
i say do what you can afford and what you wanna do to the car, my recomendation would be to get a 5 speed, but its all different opinions. its your car

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trust me guys, I wanna get a 5-speed badly. I love driving a manual, but right now I'll settle for the automatic, untill I get some more cash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts