VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went through a car wash with my 17's on and had no problems and no scratches. however, it does depend on which car wash you go to. i also recommend u take off your antenna before going through a car wash. many people forget to take it off and it ends up getting bent(most of the time). it actually looks pretty funny to see the cars with a bent antenna.

[ April 07, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
During the winter time when it's just to damn cold out i'll bring my car through an auto wash to get the salt off. I've never encountered a problem with my rims getting some road rash on it. Def take your ant. off.!!
jon

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Had a friend of mine take his mk3 trek through an automatic car wash with rack still on it. Lets just say that the dirt wasn't the only thing taken off the car!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wanted to ask if anyone knows if it is safe to drive the GTI with the 17 inch rims through an automatic car washe. Im afraid to chance it and have the rims be scratched because there is not enough clearance? My corvette's tires are too wide and will get scratched, but Im not sure about the GTI, any comments would be appreciated.

[ April 07, 2003: Message edited by: volavet ]

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have the 17's on mine, took it throught he car wash no problem. Just make sure the metal car wash rails have what looks like a yellow guard on them.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by db:
Wouldn't know none of my dubs ever went through a car wash. Either self serve sprayers or at home they get washed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen.
Self, at home or at bro's shop. Never any washes.

I don't think touchless washes would damage anything though.

The touch ones I can see them leave tiny fine marks in your clear coat, very visible on black paint. Hint hint.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by db:
Wouldn't know none of my dubs ever went through a car wash. Either self serve sprayers or at home they get washed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

same. i have heard bad things about auto wash. it was a while ago, and if they fixed it then cool, but i would rather do it myself. it is also rewarding to do it myself. its just a good feeling after you are all done, you can say "I did that."

·
Registered
4 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1point8T:
i went through a car wash with my 17's on and had no problems and no scratches. however, it does depend on which car wash you go to. i also recommend u take off your antenna before going through a car wash. many people forget to take it off and it ends up getting bent(most of the time). it actually looks pretty funny to see the cars with a bent antenna.

[ April 07, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a dumb question... how do I take my antenna off? is it a pull off or a twist off?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts