VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

well, after my 86 Golf burned to the ground a couple of weeks ago (long story), I am now in the market for a new ride. One question: there are a bunch of good MK2 golfs/jettas out there, but a lot of them seem to be automatics. How difficult is it to swap an automatic transmission for a manual 5-speed? I did this in a Datsun once, and had to add pedals, master cylinder, cut a new shifter hole etc, but it wasn't *that* bad. What's the prognosis for a MK2 VW? Are there any other things to consider like EFI computer settings/engine tuning etc?

As usual any suggestions/tips are much appreciated.

Robert.

·
Registered
526 Posts
awsalk3 has actually done this swap in his 87 golf. i was there to see a little bit of the swap and as far as i kno it wasnt super hard. having a good mechanical background would be the biggest advantage to doing the swap..and yes you have to swap the pedals but most of the other parts are interchangeable(liks cvs and what not) he will be able to give a better description than i can

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
It's suppose to be a real pain, the gist is that at least you need:

A new pedal cluster
A Transmission
The Shifter assembly

I have read that this is not imposible, but it is significant since you may need to remove the dash to swap the pedals and you will be gutting the heart of your drivetrain. The flywheel is different in that autos use a flexplate rather than a flywheel. Then theres the issue of mounting points(tranny mount), not sure if they are the same but I'm sure that someone here knows. I'm sure there are other considerations I'm not thinking about. Not an easy job in any case. Be prepred to replace any items that me be wearing out like seals and motor mounts since they will be within easy reach. Make sure that the transmission is in good shape too With a new clutch and all.

Also, as long as you use the A3 pressure plate, clutch and flywheel the A3 ABA transmission will work in an A2 car. Maybe even 16v stuff, not sure about the pins on the flywheel (1or 2), but its 210mm. The clutch has the same splines as a 16V disc, and the PP is the same I belive.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
526 Posts
what he said i remeber us looking at the linkage part on awsalk3's 16v thats gutted to see what needed to be done..theres a hole that needs to be put in the firewall i think and yes the clutch is something u need and as far as mounting i believe they are the same mount

·
Registered
759 Posts
Its a super easy swap, a little time consuming but not hard at all. Things you will need are:

tranny(obviously)
whole shifter assembly
starter(mounts in fround instead of rear)
pedal cluster
speedo cable
throttle cable
clutch cable

Now the dash doesnt have to be removed to swap the pedal cluster, just your steering column. its easy to remove and reinstall. Theres already a hole for the clutch cable, and already bolt holes for the shift linkage. the mounts are the same as far as i can remember. You will also need the shifter box which was fun to put in because we needed to drop the exhaust down. But it shouldnt be too hard. Keep us posted, if i remember anything else i'll be sure to write it up!

Edit: not sure about this but when i swapped my tranny it came from an 86 and i needed to swap the throttle bodies because of the different types of cables for the throttle. I'm not sure on if you need to or not. if you have a parts car its easiest.

[ December 06, 2003: Message edited by: AWSALK3 ]

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by babzenuda:
Hey there,

well, after my 86 Golf burned to the ground a couple of weeks ago (long story), I am now in the market for a new ride. One question: there are a bunch of good MK2 golfs/jettas out there, but a lot of them seem to be automatics. How difficult is it to swap an automatic transmission for a manual 5-speed? I did this in a Datsun once, and had to add pedals, master cylinder, cut a new shifter hole etc, but it wasn't *that* bad. What's the prognosis for a MK2 VW? Are there any other things to consider like EFI computer settings/engine tuning etc?

As usual any suggestions/tips are much appreciated.

Robert.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Burning car? Plase do tell lol

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
the smartest thing to do since you havn't bought the car yet is just to wait and find a 5 speed. You'll spend ore oney on swapping in the 5 speed and a lot of time. I'd just keep looking. I think auto mk2's are more rare then 5 speeds. But if you really wanna do the swap go ahead. goodluck either way you go

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Lucky you... in a MK1 you have to change the steering rack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts