VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a 03 gti 1.8t 5 speed manual its been lowered on raceland coilovers it sitting about 24 inches botttom of fender well to ground the car has been lowered for 6 months with about 200 miles on it before on day i heard a loud pop from the driver side i started hearing a knocking grinding sound on deaccuaration there was no knock on turning and no rubbing on frame or sway bay... after checking it looked like both side of my cv axles were wore out so i ordered 2 new carquest cv axles had a local shop that deal with lowered and 4x4 truck to replace them....after replacing them the knock and grinding was still there..the shop said that the cv axles were too short that i would need some 1 inch spacers made...so i went to local machine shop 300 bucks later i have spacers...today they called said after installing spacers the noise was still there and it has to be internal problem.....so as i was driving home not 2 blocks from the garage the driver side inner axle pulled out. after looking the axle was in a extreme bind..the shop that was working on my vw doesnt want to mess with it any more...has anyone else had a problem with binding? it doesnt looking to sound like the passenger side is binding but it might. most of my sound is coming from driver side...can somone help me please after 500 buck im back where i started....

·
Knows nothing about VWs
6,954 Posts
Get OEM axles, they are stronger, thicker, and better than the box store replacements.

At 24" FTG you should not need spacers unless you are running over 2* or camber I believe. Sounds like your sway bar or lack of frame notch might be the problem or you have a trans issue at this point.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get OEM axles, they are stronger, thicker, and better than the box store replacements.

At 24" FTG you should not need spacers unless you are running over 2* or camber I believe. Sounds like your sway bar or lack of frame notch might be the problem or you have a trans issue at this point.
i dont think its any issue with the passenger side the driver is really binding as far as trans....without the axles installed it sounds great no grinding or noise...do you think if i just rebuild the oem ones because they were the ones knocking first

·
Knows nothing about VWs
6,954 Posts
Do you have a sway bar? does it grind in a straight line, but not turning one way or the other as much? might be rubbing on the Sway connection knuckle when lowered while turning.

You might also support the motor, loosen the motor mounts slightly and shift the engine to reduce the binding if it is only on one side.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have a sway bar? does it grind in a straight line, but not turning one way or the other as much? might be rubbing on the Sway connection knuckle when lowered while turning.

You might also support the motor, loosen the motor mounts slightly and shift the engine to reduce the binding if it is only on one side.
it doesnt make any noise when turning only going straight and i dont think i have a sway bar on mine as far as hitting or rubbing i have room maybe a rub here and there when turning into a parking lot...and from what i can see the driver side is binding bad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts