VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the front wheel bearing on my 2003 Jetta. The wheel bearing torque that I could find was as follows: Tighten the nut to 148 ft-lb, then back it off half a turn. Roll the wheel half a revolution. Mark one "tine" on the nut, and another mark two tines away, clockwise. Then tighten to line up the two marks.

I did this, and the nut seemed quite loose to me. I followed the instructions, but is this proper?

Thanks!!

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,447 Posts
how did the nut seem loose? as you tighten the nut it has to pull the axle spline into the hub splines. if they are corroded or galled it might not seat right. I usually put some anti seize or brake contact grease to lube it up. I tighten my axle with an impact gun until it would no longer turn. then checked it with a big torque wrench. was usually around 225-250 ft lbs.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
the process you described is what the bentley manual says and what vw recommends for it. i just hit the impact until it stops

·
Registered
265 Posts
yeah man, just make sure the grooves are lined up and tighten it down reasonably tight. The last thing you want is that nut coming off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts