VW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i got a problem. like bad. well, my Gti is sounding like a diesel. its been low on oil and it took 2 quarts to get it full. i know, i am so mad at myself that i didnt check it. anyways, it has been burning oil for a while now but not much. maybe a quart every 900+ miles. wasnt to scared about it. just when i took a hard turn, and the light came on, i put another quart it. and yes, i know i was stupid! like, really stupid! please dont yell at me! i am just a stupid 18 year old who doesnt knw crap! anywayz, what could it be? from what i know about engines (nothing) i am thinking pump cuz it sounds like the oil isnt getting up in the top end. please help ASAP!

·
Registered
73 Posts
if you're not busy monday, give me a call anytime after 3 and if you drive over to my place i will check it out for you. and if you need a new bottom end which i highly doubt you will, but if you want one anyways...say a ABA 2.0L block, it's only like 300-400$ + new headbolts and headgasket. easy schmeezy stuff

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
yeah good luck, hopefully vee-duber knows how to fix it or whats wrong.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Timmay you were right... you cannot simply add oil to the engine, just because the light came on. I hope you learned something from this.

Vee-dubber, that is awefully nice of ya.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i learned all right. i am hoping that an act of God will let this work out alright. does anyone have any ideas? i am not driving the car so i will not further f myself. thanks Vee-Dubber for the help. i was looking at rebuild kits on google last night and the cheapest i found was around $310. does anyone know of anything cheaper or how much a new engine would be? i am thinking that if i need a new engine completly, would a 1.8 16v be a good idea. i dont really wanna go with the 2.0 cuz my bro told me that there is a lot more shit that i would need to do that i dont have either the funds or time to do. thanks again for all the help everyone!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got some good news i think. my dad came over and he thinks that the problem is that i have some bad valves. thank God for that. i was looking at $1800 for a new motor.

·
Registered
844 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TimmayGTi:
my dad came over and he thinks that the problem is that i have some bad valves. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't it great having a dad that knows his stuff??? My dad's been tinkering with cars since he was 14.....he's 54 now, so he has some know how.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i am just glad i dont have to give up $1800 for a new motor! but still, i had to talk to Schnell, she had a sad, hurt look on her face. i took the blame and said i was sry for causing her so much pain, it seemed to help. i think i have a problem.

·
Registered
73 Posts
hey man. $1800 is for a crate engine fully assembled. and a 2.0 would be the exact same difficulty swap as the 1.8 16v. you still have to change wiring harnesses either way. he 2.0 would be an easier swap to drive sooner because the motronic part of it will help it get running right by itself. the Cis-e you have to do ALL the tuning/dialing in which sucks. your valves are probably fine since your motor is a non-interference motor. the valve stem seals/valve guides could be messed up. if i am out your way i'll give ya a call or somethin if you shoot me your #, and check it out. i rebuilt my 2.0 16v, and threw in a euro intake cam while it was apart. well just having a good running 16v is soooooooo much fun. i'll give a good MK3 VR driver a run for his money, i'll beat a moderate one
goodluck. hopefully your pops will have it fixed in no time

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well today we are taking it to a friend of my granpa's so he can do a plastic test on it. dont know exactly what that is but he said that he puts a piece of plastic somewhere, torques it down, takes out the plastic and measures it. from that, he can tell exactly what is wrong with it. thanks for hte help and Vee-Dubber, i will give you a call when i find out what it is. thanks again all! i will keep y'all updated. till then, i get to drive around my moms 2000 Honda Civic EX auto! I HATE ASIAN CARS!

·
Registered
73 Posts
he's using plastigauge to diagnose a problem? i've never heard of somebody doing it like that. I used to when rebuilding my motor though to make sure all my crank journals and bearings had the proper clearances. goodluck man

Asian cars aren't too bad. honda's yes, but i'd dump my car aside for a 93 Talon TSi any day. black on black. mmmmmmmmm boost baby

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the concern from you all. well, the guy who i sent her to called me up and told me what teh deal was. he said that he ran it for a minute, and the light went out and the sound stopped. he then cleaned the engine and changed the oil. all it was was a collapsed (SP) lifter. he also said there there is a 90% chance that nothing bad happened to my engine. so its all good. only $55. but trust me, i learned my lesson. i was told to "always check your oil" "at least once a week" "I do it twice" reffering to checking the oil i hope. thanks again for all the help! but its all good now.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Talon?? Oh no...I drove a friends Talon, not sure if it was a TSI, but it was a turbo... I don't know a think about Talon's, but I DO know that it was EXTREMELY slow compared to my VR6, wasn't even much faster than my sister's Beetle 2.0 to tell you the truth. Now he has upgraded to a 3000GT, now he is convinced he can beat me in a race. If it was a VR4 I'd say he's win, but otherwise, I got this one. This is from a kid who couldn't get over the fact that I hit 100 in 4th gear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts