VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've been having a shifting problem for the past two days now. My car has a terrible time shifting into 2nd and 4th all of a sudden, and its getting significantly worse. Also, when it is in neutral, I can really move the stick around a lot, sideways of course, but up and down way more than it sould move....which shouldn't happen I'm sure. Now the check engine light comes on as well....any ideas what might be the problem? Any help would be appreciated...thanks

~John

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Not sure if the CEL, and sloppy shift pattern is connected. It sounds like there is something loose/broken between the shifter assembly in the console, and the gear selection acctuator on the tranny. I would check there first!

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Do Mk3's and mk4's have the same mechanism for gear selection? If they do, It sounds like this is something that can be adjusted at the linkage.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Bad bushings or entire shift linkage. Dont think they have the same linkage as the mk4 but I'm not sure. CEL's come on for fun in mk3 prob just the normal mk3 CEL curse

1 - 4 of 4 Posts