VW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was at my dealership to get an oil change and get the clutch greased up and the abs light turned off. Turns out that my flywheel and pressure plate are bad and that is causing the squeeking sound. I am looking at about 1400 for the repair. My front brakes are also bad, another amount of money there. They turned of the light with clearing the code and charging me 40 bux. I am thinking of selling my car. Ever since i got it something had to happen. brakes were bad at about 8k and the rear were replaced. Then an accident, then some1 keys my complete passenger side, and now this. I am hoping that i can find a good deal on a 1.8t if not then I have no idea what i will get. As for the 2.0's I have nothing against the engine but the mechanic told me that alot of parts are faulty including breaks and stuff like that. I guess i just didnt pick out the right one (hehe) out of the bunch. But I hope everything turns out good.

Emir

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
That sucks. I'm in the process of looking at getting a diffrent car too. I'm looking at a used Jetta 1.8t or VR6 or... a nice used A4 if i can find one for a good deal. I love my dub to death but it's just been bad luck for me. it seems like something is always going wrong with it. Not just mechanical or VW's fault. Just this past month i've had my rear window smashed out, bent rims, now a cracked front window. plus i had my 40k tuneup with new rear brakes so in total i've spent over 2k on the car just replacing stuff.

jon

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya i know thomas but how can you not make a right choice on a new car. I mean new is new there's nothing you can predict of happening this early you know. But yea ill be happy with a 1.8t for sure. Ill miss my 2.0 hehe

Emir

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
The reality is: Every car on earth has it's share of flaws and failures. It is directly proportional to LUCK, DEDICATION of the workers during the day when they assembled your dub and finally you and only you (the way you drive it and maintain it, etc.)

My car has been very good, knock on wood, but it will get replaced this year. Don't ask for what as I really don't know yet.

[ April 18, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

[ April 18, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Well, hopefully you can take all your mods with you... did you keep all the OEM parts?

I know, its the lemon thing... one in every 10 cars is going to be a statistical abhorittion, and another is going to be the opposite. So, one guy will get a VW with the reliability of a Ford Pinto, and anothe will get one that he can drive like crap and will last a million miles, and everyone else kinda fals in betwween. So far, I think I may be the lucky guy, but I have a had a few probs here and there.

I hope you get a new one and its just as sweet as your 2.0 is.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
im definatly stickin by VW...the car is so solid and good looking (interior and exterior), it drives and handles well...however when everyone else wants a new 1.8t, im thinkin of getting a 99 or 2000 2.0 or 1.8t so i dont have to make these damn car payments anymore.... ehhhh, but i probably wont.... ohh well good luck to all u guys and the decisions you make.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
yeah emir that sucks man im sorry but what about warantee, you only have 15k miles i thought.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
You know what man, I have had a lot of problems with my dub too, and I know it sucks. As far the the repairs go, look around, as far as the flywheel goes you can probably get a lightened flywheel cheaper than a factory one from Techtonics Tuning of Neuspeed. And try bringing it somewhere else to get checked out, maybe you can find a better price.

Good luck!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea it blows. Yea my car has only 16k miles on it but my clutch, flywheel, etc. are only covered for 12,000 miles or 1 year which ever comes first. The powertrain warranty doesnt cover it. Same goes for breaks. I was at the dealership today found a nice 1.8t. I really dont need all the options i was just looking at having the sunroof. If that has to go too it really doesnt matter to me as long as its a reliable car. But this time im going for the 1.8t, not just because of the speed, but it feels really smooth and the vr6 is too expensive. Thanks for all your comments.

Emir

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
sorry to hear that Emir. But I do have a question. Doesn't your warrenty cover any of that stuff?? I know it wont cover it if you, per say, get in a wreck, but they are just faulty parts, right?

·
Registered
21 Posts
That sux to hear the problems everyone seems to be having lately. but, Ihave heard that VW is having reliability issues recently. I've hd a few myself and only had the car for like 4 months. I've been through two MAF sensors. A center console, a front bumper (don't ask) and now I have a banging noise that no one can find. My suggestion is simply this: Don't go to the stealership, they'll just jerk you around if they can. When all else fails.... upgrade. like straz said, a lightened flywheel won't run you as much as the stealerships stock flywheel, plus you'll enjoy it more. Well, good luck with the problem.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could anyone help me and let me know how the flywheel and pressure plate are considered wear items if they are part of the transmission. I understand that the clutch is a wear item but not the flywheel and pressure plate. Please let me know what u guys think. Tx

Emir

1 - 14 of 14 Posts