VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, This morning my MK1 Golf GX started fine but when i tried to put any load on it and drive away it would hesitate badly and "kangaroo" down the road, the more gas i gave it the worse it would be, just a tiny bit of gas and it will go with less hesitation. After 5 mins or less of driving then it seems fine and goes as expected. Any pointers to what this may be? It's got the original Pierburg 1b Carb on it, 1.5 litre engine, i've replaced all vacuum & fuel hoses, set the timing and new sparks.

Also, do i need the vacuum hose connected to the distributor or not? when i got the car it wasn't connected and the nipple on the hose from the inlet manifold was plugged. Is it a retard or advance distributor?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dan.

[ September 11, 2003: Message edited by: Koolworld ]

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Stuck choke? Bad accelerator pump? The stuck choke... maybe. It will sometimes create bad run problems related to engine heat

The accelerator pump richens the mixture to keep the car from dying when you open the throttle suddenly, but that's pretty much ruled out because you say it goes away when it gets warm.

The biggest problem is that North American cars and cars from almost anywhere else are vastly different, and we may have never gotten anything quite like your car here. We got carburated MK1s in many different forms, with lambda (o2) sensors and mounds of electronics hanging off the carb, and we got them in the most basic, cable choke versions, so it's really hard to say. Most US cars were fuel injected, and dropped anything smaller than a 1.7L out of the model line in 1981

1 - 3 of 3 Posts