VW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all

The battery on my wife's '01 GTi w/ auto trans is dying....The first time I tried to start up, I heard some "clicking" noise...the second time, it did cranked...The third time..It did started ..But the clock is reset to 1200..I brought the battery to autozone for testing..they added some water and charged it and tested it again. The test result is good..so I brought it back...but same thing...after one night...it does the same thing.....I think the battery is gone...but the other thing I am afraid is the drain of power...anyone can help???

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Sounds like a bad alternator. Here is how you can test it ...

1) Loosen your negative connection to the battery so you can remove it manually but dont remove it.

2) Start the car

3) Remove the negative connection while your car is running.

If the car shuts off, the alternator is shot.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I was going to post something just like this tonight from what i've been experiancing the past couple of morning. Here's my story:
For the past 4-5 days, whenever i start my car up in the morning with the cold start, it starts up but seems like it's struggling and will die out, i try it again and press the gas down for a sec or two once it's started and it finally start like normal. Now when ever i start it the rest of the day i have no problem at all. It seem that if the car is not started for 10-12 hours is when i have some trouble. I'm afraid that if i go to autozone to test it it will be charged once i get there. Is there any other ideas or possible things to look at? I have a '01 Wolfsburg and i think it's the original battery still. I bought it used last spring. I'm almost sure that it's the battery just from what i've experianced with my Jeep when i had that.
jon

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Hey Jon that sounds like the same problem I had with my old prelude; If it wasn't driven for a day or so the battery would go dead. Basically i took it down and had a test done on the electrical system, and it found nothing wrong except for the battery, so I replaced it. No problems after that.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Thanks, i'll go to autozone today and get it checked out. I'm taking a long trip this weekend and i don't want to have a dead battery while i'm gone

jon

·
Registered
830 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 LUVR:
sounds like you have a great dealer!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto on that!!!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Glad to hear Dover VW is the hotness. I'm gonna take my car there if I have any problems since I'm sure Smith would void my warranty on the spot...f-ing jerks.

A good test for the alternator and battery is to use a digital multimeter to test if their current and voltage output. Remember that you test voltage in series, and current in parallel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well,
I will pay a trip to autozone tonight...but my wife told me that she can't start the car since it didn't crank at all...Will give AAA a call and drive to autozone for testing......if the alternator is gone...I am going to

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pickupjason:
well,
I will pay a trip to autozone tonight...but my wife told me that she can't start the car since it didn't crank at all...Will give AAA a call and drive to autozone for testing......if the alternator is gone...I am going to
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WEll if your handy with tools and don't mind working on your car. A new alternator from Autozone with a lifetime warrenty is $190 then there is a $75 core fee until you return your old one. HTH. Good luck!
jon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alittle update..
I drove my car(mazda protege5) to pick up my wife and use jump cable to start her car...went to autozone, same guy, same test, different result..: dead battery...
and said "that's fine, I can take it out myself",,,So I borrowed a box tool from them and start to take it out at night with my wife next to me..after installed the new one, I asked the guy to check the alternator for me..the guy kept asking me, it's a four cylinder? are you sure it's four-cylinder?....gee...anyway, the result is ok..he said the generator works fine...hopefully he's right this time..anyway, hope the new one works..

Jason

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well i took a small trip to AutoZone this morning to see what's going on. After waiting in line for 15 min i tell the guy that i think my battery is starting to die out on me. So he grabs the little battery tester and we go outside, 40 sec later he tell me the battery is good, now lets check the alternator. Well he hooks the tester to my car and tells me to start the car and rev it to 2k RPM. After the test he tells me i'm only pushing 20amps out of the alternator and for a new one it'll be around $200. Well since i bought the car used back in April it had a pre-owned warrenty good for 20,000 miles. well i only have about 6,000 miles left before that's up. So off to the dealer i go. Ask the service guy if it's covered and he said yep, just order one at the parts counter and we'll hook u up on a apointment on the 20th. Well the service guy knows what i do to my car as per chips and stuff so i just ask if i should take out my sub or just leave it in so i wouldn't have a issue with the warrenty. All he says is "What Sub?" basicly just leave it in and we'll over look that big wire coming from your battery

jon

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Hey, have you guys heard of these memory savers? Its a device that you plug a 9V battery into and then plug it into your cigarrette lighter, and it is supposed to provide enough current that you don't loose all your memory presets and computer crap when you swap out your battery. The dealer told me I was going to need a new battery soon, and they charge 180 bux to do it (Holy freakin Crap!) so I figure I will do it myself, or take it to an independent shop who has their head on straight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will say for sure do that yourself. The battery is some 59.99 at Autozone...
When replace the battery, the only thing I noticed is the clock and the mileage(u know which one I mean) are reset to 1200 and 0,respectively. All the radio channels, power windiw one-touch up/down are still there. The manual did said that the radio will "syncronize"(spelling?) to the original car which I think it's kind of weird..maybe even with the battery out, there're some capacitors to do that job

1 - 14 of 14 Posts