VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not even using the key.
The manual says using the master key I should be able to open it. But the master key doesn't even go in which is really weird. the cuts look identical. I wonder if it is actually I researched called a "valet key"?
Anyway, besides buying a new battery is there a way to open my trunk?
Please and thanks.
2000 Jetta VR6

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update. I was able to get a jump and and turned over much to my surprise, thus able to open the trunk.
I was surprised since the battery was so dead nothing was working. Not the odometer, not the alarm, no interior lights.
Phew. I was going to get a new battery (5 years old) but maybe just a charge will suffice.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If the battery was that dead, its not going to hold a charge very long I bet. I'd get a new battery. 5 years is a good life for a battery.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the battery was that dead, its not going to hold a charge very long I bet. I'd get a new battery. 5 years is a good life for a battery.
update. I was able to get a jump and and turned over much to my surprise, thus able to open the trunk.
I was surprised since the battery was so dead nothing was working. Not the odometer, not the alarm, no interior lights.
Phew. I was going to get a new battery (5 years old) but maybe just a charge will suffice.
Good call. I am shopping around tomorrow. Is there a "model" # or specific thing I can look for when browsing? I once bought a battery and they gave me the wrong one. It still worked just not as well and I'd like to be able to confirm.
Checking our Costco first.

You can always put the rear seats down and pull the emergency lever inside the trunk lid if it happens again. I am assuming that you had a prior owner swap out the trunk or the latch is broken inside the lid. Pull it apart and look.
This model has no emergency lever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts