VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a lil while after getting my system installed the battery started dying over and over again...ive put systems in my older car and friends cars before but with this nice shiny new one...i just didnt want to see it taken apart...but anyway i realized they didnt wire it directly to the battery which ive always done...im guessing maybe they hooked it right to the fuse box because it runs forward i havent tracked it completely but thats the only place i can think they woulda run it...not sure y...but anyway ive unhooked the amp and it hasnt died since then...the only thing is i noticed a lot of dimming when i do simple things like step on the brakes or even put on the blinker...now when the cars running its all alternator i think...anyone have any ideas what could be wrong or what could fix this...i confused lol

thanks guys

·
Registered
830 Posts
Get a capacitor (1 farad should do it) and it will definately help. Your alternator took a beating probably from the extra power needed to run the system. Cap is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Seems like an alternator problem to me. I would install a Capacitor as evilgti2000 recommended, because it drastically reduces the strain a powerful sound system puts on the electrical system. If you need your battery tested, and you are still in warranty, bring it up to Palisades VW in Nyack, NY, and I'll find out whats wrong with your car for you.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
This does sound like your alternator took a beating. I'd get a cap even if you don't replace the alternator but, I'd take my car to the delear or a service center and have your alternator tested.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I would definiltely take it to carson too, another dealer could give you a hard time because of your stereo. As far as the capacitor goes, I have a 1 farad because I have a 220W(RMS) Alpine V12 amp and a 200W(RMS) Kenwood Excelon amp. I have no dimming whatsoever, and I've had my stereo on for well over an hour without the car running, started up just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts