VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the weight of the BBS rims that come one a stock wolfsburg edition are? They are 16''

Also, would 18'' rims slow you down much if any if they are the same weight or less as the 16'' BBS?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
from THIS LINK it says that 19.5 pounds is the weight of 16 inch bbs rims. i'm not too sure if 18's will slow you down but if you race u shouldn't upgrade. i believe 16's are the best for racing.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Unless you are in some professional race circle, I wouldn't worry too much about slowing down because of rim/wheel size.

18's will do just fine. Especially BBS!!!

Look at some of the DTM or TOCA cars... does it look like they are riding on 14,15 or 16" wheels? More like 17, 18 seems to be their choice.

I know that for Drag Racing you would want a higher sidewall on your tire so go with the smaller rim/wheel size but for normal street racing I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Post some pics of your ride.

Here is the MB GTR:

Code:
As you can see above 18".

Here is the race specific model with 17" BBS'

[ November 10, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have 15" steelies i run in the winter that are 20lbs and when i put my 18's on that weigh about 23 pounds i notice they slow me down a lil bit. I know volk makes a 15" wheel that weights around 9-11 lbs. i cant remember exactly...one sweet wheel!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I see people with 17s all the time. Is it an issue having these 17s if you hit a pothole or something? I've heard of people messing up 17" rims before but is this really an issue? I like the way 17s look but am a little concerned about this...18s would REALLY scare me

[ November 10, 2003: Message edited by: Tommunist ]

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I have 17x7.5 OEM Subaru STI rims on my Impreza, and they weigh in at 17.5 lbs. These are Forged aluminum so they might wheigh alittle less that your standard cast ones. Sorry for posting the rice pic. I do like VW's!

·
Registered
40 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jon25RS:
I have 17x7.5 OEM Subaru STI rims on my Impreza, and they weigh in at 17.5 lbs. These are Forged aluminum so they might wheigh alittle less that your standard cast ones. Sorry for posting the rice pic. I do like VW's!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol that pic isnt rice at all ur car is clean as hell..................18's do affect performance best would be 16's imo

[ November 16, 2003: Message edited by: register ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts