VW Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Raced a stock VR6 MK3 Jetta. It was a good race. Pretty close. I also raced my buddies mild 8v Jetta. When The Whore was Digifant, we were dead even. Now i pull on him decently.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Headgasket was leaking, so we pulled the head off with the exhaust and carbs still hooked up to the head. Everything was surprisingly clean for 200,000 miles.

After we changed the head gasket the lifters started chattering real bad.

So my buddy gave me 8 USRT LW Lifters for free that he wasn't using, and i got a new 268 cam off my buddy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
my oil pressure dropped a lot today. I think my oil pump was slowly giving out and finally did. So i changed it today.

oOOoo look at that old 200,000 mile shit.

New oil pump and ABA oil shield.

Nicer not as smashed oil pan. decided to wrinkle paint it, takes some time for the paint to wrinkle.

Also while i was changing my pump, Jeremy installed my catch can.

Vacuum gauge, it's pretty handy to have.

Janbro also gave me a metal oil cap! woot.

Tony also did this for me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #87

My buddy gave me his old HID kit. I'm using it until i get my kit in.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Well, started to change the clutch yesterday. Ran into issues like always. Also got side tracked, like always...

Got the trans out in like an hour with no issues.

Sachs clutch disc, SPEC stage 3 pressure plate, and a light weight flywheel.

And then this happened.

Because we're retarded and do stupid shit haha.

Jeremy then decided to try out his alternator re-location idea. It deleted the big bracket bolted to the water pump and moved the alternator down a bit and closer to the block. We have another idea we're going to try.

Found another demon part on my car. Kinda explains things, lol.

Tony gave my mouth a gold tooth.

Tony made a custom solid trans mount.

Tony also boxed in the weak part of the trans mount.

Ran into an issue we have to fix today. The bolt holes that go all the way through the diff don't exist on the FF trans. So no we have to make a custom bracket to bolt the rear trans mount arm to the diff.

We still have a lot more to do later today. I know a lot of people are going to hate on the gold. But it's whatever, we were just having fun.

I started to clean up the engine bay wiring.

Tony built an adapter plate to run a MK1 trans in a MK2.

Drove The Whore home tonight. The clutch feels and works great. The trans ratios are awesome, my 4th gear now is like my old 5th gear. I can tell a difference in how it pulls in first up high, and how much faster the motor revs.

The only issue i'm having is 2nd and 4th. When i pull the shifter back it hits the box and can't pull back for enough to get 2nd and 4th is difficult. I think i may have to extend the shift rod about a 1/4 inch or so to make up for the adapter to run the rear mount.

battery relocated and a power breaker added.

Battery is only tied down with a bunch of zip ties. We still have to make a battery tie down, we were too tired to do it tonight.

Battery shut off switch

12 gauges shells

Still needs some work and bugs worked out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
So Tony, Jeremy, and I are at it again. It's all because of one bolt...

Started working on The Whore around 7:30pm

Any by 10 we had it down to this.

Time for an OBD1 ABA bottom end! woot.

started cutting out the rain tray.

Most of it done.

Dash swap time.

base paint.

Finished paint.

I'll update this with pictures and info as progress happens.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Started to strip the bay yesterday. I have a lot more work to do.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Some better pictures of the stripped bay.

The bay painted.

After we finished the bay we assembled the clutch, trans, mounted the motor, and Jeremy aligned the shift linkage up. The shifter works great, he did an awesome job.

We still have a lot of shit to do. We'll be working on it again tonight! haha.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Well last night we started working on The Whore. Spent about 3 hours running around trying to find a better way to link my carbs. Finally got something good that will last for awhile until i can get some more Heim joints. After we mounted the carbs and header we put the head on. We started assembling everything. Got pretty close until we realized i had a 1.8 timing belt and not an ABA timing belt. I also need a smaller v-belt. Decided to call it a night and finish it later today. I also got the E30 dash mounted and ran the wires. Still needs work though.

So far here is the list of stuff that needs to be done.

Installed the 1.8 oil pan and oil pump.
fill everything up with fluids
hook up throttle and choke cable
put the timing belt and v belt on
bolt the header flange up to the exhaust
put wheels on it and hopefully finish the Dash swap.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I drove The Whore home today. Definitely needs some tuning and work still.

I need to organize the engine bay again, it's a little messy. I also have to finish the E30 dash setup. Right now the switchs and gauges are just chilling being held to the dash with electrical tape.

I'm excited to get everything running good and finished up.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts