VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1988 golf mark 2 1.3 and i want to know the cheapest and the best way to make it got a bit faster. me and my mate race all of the time and he has a peugeot 106 1.4 and its so much faster and im sick of it. also he takes the piss out of my golf even though he nows i like it loads so i would like to slap that smile off his face.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
There just isn't much you can do to the 1.3L. Moving up to a 1.8L or 2L, possibly a 16v, would be the best bet.

Although over there it's easier said than done. Over here a 400hp Golf is insured just as a standard Golf, anat least here in Washington has no real inspection it needs to pass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your so lucky because if i get a bigger engine my insurance would cost me about £3000 a year and at the moment it costs £1090. are you sure there isnt anything that could be done with a 1.3 engine with out taking it out.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I don't know anything about the 1.3L, but I would think that exhaust and a K&N filter might let it breathe easier and give it a little pickup. Other than that, take stuff out of it to make it lighter. I don't know if anyone makes cams or a chip or whatever for that motor, but those would help too.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers mates well i allready have the exshaust system and i have a customised forced airfilter but still two slow and to make it lighter i wouldn't no where to start because my mates car is probally half the wait of mine.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Performance is based on power to weight ratios. So if you can't make more power... make it weigh less. I usually take everything out of the interior behind the front seats.

Also, I think Schrick makes cams for the 1.3L, but I'm not sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts