VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard horror stories about mass market chains simply wrecking an install on cd players and basically any sort of audio installs for cars in general. I'm looking to get the JVC KDLH3100 for my NBC. I've priced it around a few places and I noticed that Best Buy( $331.00 ) is just about the most expensive but they have free installs. Should I just buy it there and let them and install it or just buy it from a cheaper place ($299 ) and pay the 30 - 40 bucks at a true car audio store and let them install it?
Is Best Buy really that horrible that I am better of taking my car somewhere else to have this installed?

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Do NOT go to Best Buy for anything! They carry cheaper components and their installation departments are pretty poor. If you go to somewhere like crutchfield.com you can get a better receiver for less money, then just bring it somewhere and get it installed for $40 or so. When I had my Jeep I had speakers installing at BB and one of them kept cutting out, so I brought it back twice and they kept telling me it was fine, so I got sick of it and brought it somehwere else and they fixed it right away.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I have to agree with brett on this. I had best buy install some speakers into my dash when i had my Jeep and the screwed on up were the wire kept hitting some metal piece and cutting out. I took it back three times before they fixed it and even then it would cut out once in a blue moon. i would say pay the extra money and get it installed at a actual car audio place.
jon

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Make sure that the place you take it to installs items not purchased through them. I had that happen with a head unit install on my old car. Most places should be cool wiht htat but you never know what thier policies are going to be.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, so now I know. I've checked out a few installers in the area to see what they charge, most in about the same price range. But since Best Buy
is out of the picture, anyone have an opinion on Sound Advice? I was thinking of taking it there as well .. unless there are more horror stories from there as well.

And as far as the unit goes that I am looking to buy, has anyone heard anything (good or bad) about the JVC KDLH1100 or the KDLH3100? I think I might be leaning more towards the 3100 only because it plays MP3s, I doubt I'll ever use the feature to download movies directly to it to play on the display.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I had a freind of mine doing installs at circuit city.He is really good at it,and I have seen horriable installs at so called professional sterio shops.Imo

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, Circuit City is also off my list, a friend of mine had a horrible experience there when they did an install for him. So basically it's down to Sound Advice or some local professional installer place.

Also, as far as the radio goes that I am looking for. I've checked out Crutchfield and a couple of other sites. Can anybody reccomend a reliable place to order these units through the web?

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BeetleJen:
But since Best Buy
is out of the picture, anyone have an opinion on Sound Advice?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Sound Advice is the sister store of Tweeter, etc., which is where I got mine done. I was happy with how the install came out, I would defnitely reccomend them. They also have MUCH nicer products. Also, I am not a big fan of JVC. I would look at some other brands, maybe Kenwood (which is what I have and I love it) or Alpine. They sell both of those at Sound Advice.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
best buy is not that bad... i had an install of a cd player done there and it came out great... i guess it depands on the individual store not the whole chain... but since that is out of the picture just dont forget that an install at any place is not gonna be like 40 bucks its gonna be around 80-90 when you get all the parts they make you buy

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
I am not a big fan of JVC. I would look at some other brands, maybe Kenwood (which is what I have and I love it) or Alpine. They sell both of those at Sound Advice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was just wondering what your complaints are concerning JVC? I previously had a Sony that I thought was absolute junk which was a waste of my money.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Yes Sound Advice is the place to go. I've had all my audio installed at Tweeter which owns Sound Advice and they do such a nice job with everything they do.

And I would also look at other brands rather then JVC. They are not bad, but there are much better units out there, such as Alpine, Eclipse, Panasonic, and Kenwood.

Oh and if you got a Sony Xplod, they are complete trash.

[ May 20, 2003: Message edited by: GTIboarder ]

[ May 20, 2003: Message edited by: GTIboarder ]

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
You get what you pay for. Look around for a shop that you liekand if possible look at some of there work. If it's just a cd player alot of places will do a decent job. Good luck. I personally wouldn't go twith a jvc. I like pioneer but they are kinda cheap too depending on what you get.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i dont know, ive heard horror stories but mine came out ok when they ran my sub. but the guy who did it also drove a gti so maybe thats why

·
Registered
8 Posts
as an installer at local shop it doesn't matter what the sign above the door says it matters who is working on your car. With anything in the car world you will have people who swear by certian products and other who will say it is absolute junk. Check out the work that a shop does know who is working on your car. I have heard though that the circuit city/Best Buy type stores will hire just about anyone to do there installs. be careful dealerships like to point there fingers at anyone they can.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BeetleJen:
I was just wondering what your complaints are concerning JVC? I previously had a Sony that I thought was absolute junk which was a waste of my money.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have just had bad luck with JVC. There are defnitely better brands out there, I think most people who are knowledgable about car stereos will agree.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
If you're just putting a deck in DIY! It's easy. Get a wiring harness and and antenna adapter and whatever else you need and follow the instructions. I did mine, I was afraid I'd mess something up but it works great. I ran the changer cable to the trunk with no problems too. It suprised me how simple it is. But with a new BC it might be a little trickier. I heard it was hard to get those head units out.

Good Luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
have you ever thought off doing a self install? there not all that difficult if u can read some instructions and use wire cutters.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
not everyone is a do-it-yourselfer...and might be timid doing something like the stereo...I would be, cause I love my music, and would want a pro to install it for me. I had 2 headunits installed at Creative Car Tunes, and has not been a problem. They are local professional shop in PA. I would recomend getting it through crutchfield, or someone like that, and spend the extra bucks to have a pro install it. I have also heard the NB headunits are hard to take out. I had an Alpine headunit in my 96 jetta, and is now in my girlfriend's accord. I would also watch the big chain stores (best buy and circut city)... have you seen some of the people who work there?? some of them look a few sandwiches short of a picnic, if you know what i mean--**no offense if anyone here works at best buy or circut city, there are the select few that know what they are doing thats all**

[ May 22, 2003: Message edited by: silverGTI ]

·
Registered
4 Posts
You really should attempt it your self, just find an instruction manual. Pretty much all stereos are the same, I have done my complete instll, includng amp wiring kits speakers subs and headunits. Fitting one headunit is not that difficult and once you've fitted one you realise how over priced $10 is to fit one! Plus fit one you can fit them all. I usuallly fit my friends stereos (not alll of them vw's) they all work fine. I'd happily do yours for free but I live in the UK.

Attempt it even if you take the old one out and leave it at that, the wires are all colour coded and the connectors designed so that you cant mess it up. Just make sure you have the correct VW wiring kit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts