VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Golf 2.0 I dropped it 1.5" about 6 months ago...I held off for the shocks because I didn't have the money. Now that I do have the money and am tired of the rough ride I want to get some new shocks...right now the ride is real bumpy so I'm basically looking for the shocks that will give me the smoothest ride and the ones that will handle bumps and pot holes best...What would you guys reccomend for me...any help would be greatly appreciated...thanx!

·
Registered
180 Posts
the shocks will help the ride but it won't make it too much better... the lowering spring's are gonna make the ride more harsh no matter what you do... but i would recommend bilstein because they are top of the line.. but if you don't have that much money then i'd go with koni's...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
money isnt the issue...i just want the best ride i can get...how much of a difference do you think i can expect b/c right now the ride is really bad...and how much would i expect to pay for the shocks and installation?

·
Registered
68 Posts
heres my idea....

if the ride is rough, get used to it. any lowering job will feel rough at first. i have a weitec 50mm drop on my jetta and it felt way to bumpy at first. now i'm so accustomed to the new feel and i just remember how well i can handle corners compared to stock suspension.

the only problem is the cd player skipping. luckily my head unit plays mp3 discs (which won't skip nearly as easy as music cds)

besides, i live in pennsylvania... home of the worst roads in the country

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
If you have an aftermarket suspension it's inevitable, you are going to have a bumpy ride, I find the springs that give you the best ride for the performance are H&R, but you already have the springs. With sport shocks, whatever you get, as long as it's a performance shock, it's going to be stiffer than your factory shock, that's what a sport shock is basically, so it is not going to give you a better ride. I have Bilsteins, and personally, I love them. Here is a link to a place with good prices on them: Virtual World Parts

·
Registered
335 Posts
i shopped around for shocks for a long time. i have Bilsteins, and they're phenom. but i can't touch potholes anymore. can't touch em, can't get close to em, hate em with a passion. PennDOT can go to hell in a handcart. there are NO straight roads in Pa for someone with a slammed ride. although, the Koni fully-adjustables look tasty, too. i'm not the most decisive person in the world, but i stand by my Bilsteins, no question...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts