VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanna go with 17 or 18 inch. is this an ok size or is the a better choice....

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
If you wanna lower your car don't go bigger than 17's. I've got 17x7's and it's lowered 2.5". I had to cut out a big section of the fender underneath the flare. You can't see it but they still rub pretty bad. 16's are a much more drivable size. If you wanna go lower than a 1.5"'s then i would go with 16's or 15's. But it's up to you. Later

·
Registered
524 Posts
There's a number of things you have to think about when buying wheels. What will fit, what the costs will be, and what you want out of them are probably ur biggest worries. Most will fit, but with the a2 chassis i think a smaller wheel looks better and comes with less worries. I've got 16's on stock suspension and I have no rubs at all. I wouldnt go any bigger than 17's. The smaller the wheel the cheaper ur costs will be. Comparing 16 inch tires to 17's there is a big price hop. Also the smaller the wheel the more acceleration you have off the start. The bigger the wheel the better gas mileage you'll get. So it's up to you. Go to tirerack.com and put some different sizes on the car and see what you like the best and then look at your options.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i would just like to add my 2 cents

in my judgement, if you are going to lower your car, you should FIRST....LOWER your car to the height you want and then get your tires and rims.

again, this is MY opinion !

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by scott66:
i would just like to add my 2 cents

in my judgement, if you are going to lower your car, you should FIRST....LOWER your car to the height you want and then get your tires and rims.

again, this is MY opinion !
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I actually somwhat agree but i did it the other way around. I knew what wheels iw anted so i got them and then saw how much i could lower it. that way you know it'll work. If you lower it first then you'll only be able to get wheels that fit. Unless you wanna go extrememly low you shouldn't have a problem with 17x7's and smaller.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
i got my wheels before i lowered my car also... but the main reason was b/c the section of road toward my house is like hell to drive through with pot holes and bumps everywhere. but i have 17" wheels and my jetta is lowered around 2.5" inches. it looks bad ass being lowered that much but it also has its downfalls. i am constantly swerving around the road from obstacles and speed bumps are a b****. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts