VW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This warning is for anyone with a lowered car (especially for MK4 gtis-I dont know if it is a problem for other cars or not). I just had my car in for an oil change and inspection. When the guy was pulling it over the lift, he got it 3/4 of the way in, and then...ripped a hole in my oil pan (like an 3" hole)-because my car sits so low(1.4" drop I think). He then went to the closest vw dealership, bought a new oil pan, and put it on-no cost to me of course. but their are places out there who might take advantage of you and make you pay the cost or install or maybe both. But just to warn all of you with lowered cars--always ask what type of lifts they have in the shop you are taking your car to. I have Bilstein sport shocks, with SACHS sport springs, about a 1.4-1.5 drop in front (I think), and about a 1.4 in back (I think). JUST TO WARN YOU!! be careful, and always ask what type of lift they use. I think the side lifts are fine, but ask first. Has this happened to anyone else? Do they make a plate to protect this from happening? (maybe not from a lift, but from something in the road that might rip a hole in the oil pan??)thanks.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
sounds like you got teh factory sport suspension on there. am i right? well, i havnt had that problem, but an oil pan protector would be great! like a piece of metal that bolted on with it and went like a little under it. when i got my car, i found a dent in my oil pan. dont care taht much. but on my old car, when i first got it, i put it in reverse, well, thought i did, forgot to push down though. I drove over a parking curb thing and figured that the best way not to screw anything up was to go the distance. it was an 84 GTi and it was at my school so i drove through the gap at the other side, and thankfully, nobody was there to laugh at me! but if there were oil pan protectors, i would invest if a reasonable price!

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Similar thing happened to me. And believe it or not at the VW dealership. They damaged one of my side skirts. And no they argued it was there before. I am going to fix it before I hand the car over to my bro. (Unless he changes his mind about getting the car... he is the youngest in my family and is very spoiled so I will give him the chance to get the car but he has to make up his mind in less then 1/2 year).

[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I do not have the factory sport suspension. the springs are off a salvaged jetta (which had a Sachs shocks & springs)-I just used the shocks with my new bilstein shocks.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I bet if you searched around for the TDI rally prep golfs, there has got to be a manuf. for a steel skid plate for the front end. Hell, if we were Suby owners, we could buy them from the dealer. Ill sniff around and see what I can find.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks fli gti. I emailed both of those guys. thanks again for your help. I am going to do a search also. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
wow brian sorry to hear that. should this only happen with center mounted jacks?

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rich-the guy said that it would only be a problem on center mounted lifts. I would like to learn how to change my oil, and I also need a place to change it in too. So until then...but yeah, thanks guys.

fli--this is the reply I got back from the one site you posted (dave something). thanks.
--
I don't have a ready-made plate for your car -it would have to be a custom job. Are you looking for something as beefy as a rally car skid plate, or something a little lighter duty?
As a guess, the cost for an aluminum skid plate installed for your car would be $300 or so.

[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: silverGTI ]

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Yeesh, 300? But I guess that is for a rally style (thick metal) plate. Looking at that one that TF posted, it looks to be pretty thin (12-16GA), so maybe that would bring the price down.

Hope you find something, maybe we could do a group buy and it would lower the cost because of numbers.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Just a question for anyone who does their own oil changes. Is it a pain in the butt job on the newer models? I have a 92 jetta diesel and, aside from our 2001 HINO, it is the most annoying vehicle I've ever done an oil change on!

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fli-eventually a GB would be very good. I cant do it for a few months though. the funds are low as of now. but def a good idea. how many people would be interested?

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I was wondering when I put my side skirts on ,how am I going to jack up my car up?I already have problems no one can aline my car.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mark:
I was wondering when I put my side skirts on ,how am I going to jack up my car up?I already have problems no one can aline my car.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most hoists will still be fine. However at my brother's new shop his brand new hoist is a little bit higher. So what I do now, is I drive around with 4 pieces of wood that I use to get onto the hoist. Just measure how thick you need the wood to be and you're done.

I'll post some pics next time I am going to be on his hoist. Which by the way is the only hoist my car will be on from now on. Obviously.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts