VW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the battery, dad likes to always take over the job and he did as always. Put on the terminals the wrong way. Opposites of each other. They reached because the battery was put in facing the other way.

Anyway, sparks flew. Slapped the hell out of his hand after he tried to put it on again after the sparks. I guess he wanted to see more sparks. While sparks were flying something turned, not sure what it was.....

Pretty sure my alternator is fried. Battery light came on and doesn't want to turn off. Radio doesn't work and neither does the A/C.

I'm guessing A/C is because of the alternator but what about the radio?

My biggest fear, i have APR chip/tune. How can i check if it fried my ECU or caused severe damage?

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
There should be a big inline fuse. It might be under the dash. I did this on a 2000 cougar installing a optima batter. It fried the alternator and blew that big fuse. Ecu was safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh boy. They even have big + and - signs molded into batteries now days.
Telling that to a person who isn't wearing glasses and can't see is like talking to a deaf person.... can't be mad at him though... he did buy the battery which was expansive as fuk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There should be a big inline fuse. It might be under the dash. I did this on a 2000 cougar installing a optima batter. It fried the alternator and blew that big fuse. Ecu was safe.
How do i check if the ECU is safe? Also, what is this fuse exactly called, would help if i could see a picture.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
You won't know if the ecu is safe until you run the car. I'm looking to see if I can find something about an inline fuse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok just went out there to check the fuses again. The alternator fuse is blown. All others work fine.

Now, could this mean that my alternator is fine and that i just need to replace the alternator harness?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
wont know until you try it. unless you take the alt out and test it. but you might as well just leave it and get the car running and then see if its charging. maybe the fuse saved it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wont know until you try it. unless you take the alt out and test it. but you might as well just leave it and get the car running and then see if its charging. maybe the fuse saved it
I got the car running today, drove it and it was fine but the battery light was still on.

Would the alternator still charge if the alternator harness was fried? I was gonna take it to autozone and have them test the voltage. If the harness is needed for it to charge i guess i need to get that one first.

Speaking of the harness, have any idea where i can find one for cheap? I looked on ebay but they don't seem to have any.

Ecs is about 90 bucks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts