1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you tell me what's wrong?
2004.5(Mk IV) Jetta GLI, 1.8T, Automatic, 70K+ miles
Suddenly, big shock for shifting up.
But after restart the engine, it works just fine.
This transmission was replaced at 49K miles for similar problem at VW dealer.
It was fortunate that I still had a new car warranty at that time and paid nothing.
All ignition coils, O2 sensors, water temp sensor (green one), few rubber and plastic hoses for vacuum & coolant were replaced.
Also, engine stalls at low RPM occasionally.
I tried to find vacuum leak but can't find any.
Please help me. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
maybe low on trans fluid? dont know much about vw autos, motor mount? its strange that its fine if you shut it off and start it again.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
id have ur transmission flushed and a new filter put on heres a few threads for ur entertainment.

VWVortex.com - Heads-up: VW "Lifetime" auto transmission fluid (baloney!!!)
Scared the piss out of me. I'm at 150k and I couldn't tell you if it's ever been flushed.

Have some minor train problems but mostly blow them off.

Like sometimes when I start up and get going, when i let off the gas it acts like nutreal and the rpms drop, then you gas and once the gear hits your engine speed, wham bam and you take off.

Fix, shift into nutreal, then back into gear. Done.

Might be time for a full train makeover.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
yeah auto trannys in dubs are kinda crapy. i had to replace mine at 135k with a tranny with 80k and it shifts fine for now. lol

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
holy fuck.

I've done FWD trains before.
Think was like 400-600 range, labor.. well, my time.. And honestly, it didn't take long.. So.

Meh... see what happens. Of course, the trains are different, but really, it's replacing a box.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
holy fuck.

I've done FWD trains before.
Think was like 400-600 range, labor.. well, my time.. And honestly, it didn't take long.. So.

Meh... see what happens. Of course, the trains are different, but really, it's replacing a box.
the triptronic trannys are bitch so ive heard. the regular 4 speeds are easy. i would have done it at school but the dudes in my class are dumb and messes with shit so i took it to a dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
what tranny do u have the O1M? or the tiptronic one?

and theres no vw trannys in the mk4 lineup that are totally sealed. theres that red factory "DO NOT TOUCH ME" safety cap where u add fluid into the trans. its ment so that only dealer mechanics work on the car.

gimme some more info and ill try to help best i can

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its a 5 speed w/Tiptoro.
I also realized that it seems to little hesitate/late to disengage the gear to neutral just before stop.
Therefore, engine stalls.
Is this symptom also related possible low transmission oil level?
Or, oil pressure or vacuume?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts