VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone with a big turbo setup ever have a problem with oil being forced out of the breather filter on a CAI setup?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 87cabriolet:
near 300hp 1.8t, blows oil out of the breather filter. How do you set up a catch can? Materials, kit?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct, it's just a method of condensing oil vapors from the PCV to liquid oil in a can rather than blowing it into the intake where it condenses in the intercooler or intake manifold, cylinder head, valves, etc...

I have seen many different ways to set it up, here are a few examples:

It's T'd to the intake, and the other line from the "Y" that runs back to the PVC system.

This is some crazy setup from a guy on the tex:

"While removing the airbox lid to smooth out the fins on the inside, I looked inside the turbo inlet hose and found that some oil had been sucked up into the intake from the valve/crank breather hose, so I decided to make my own catch can. There wasn't a lot of oil on the inside of the inlet hose, so I'm guessing it only blows through under high rpm and boost. The weather's too bad to actually do any full throttle/boost runs right now, but hopefully we'll get some sun in the next few days so I can test it. I didn't actually cut any original hoses, so I can remove it all if it ends up being a waste of time."

ATP also sells one now for there Stage III kits. In all honesty though, people really aren't seeing the amount of oil everyone is predicting!

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
573 Posts
Did the guy above tack on a turbo to the regular 1.8? Looks krazy
!

·
Registered
22 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> This is some crazy setup from a guy on the tex:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i see why they put the plastic cover on the new engines. the r uuuuugly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts