VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I brought my new strut mount and bearing to my mechanic (certified VW mechanic who does work on the side) and he replaced it, but it still makes that weird noise when I turn my wheel sometimes. It's not half as bad, but he told me that it could be a problem with the strut. He checked the other side and it was fine. He was showing me how the free floating mount/bearing is supposed to work, and how on the side that's broken the nut is grabbing onto the mount and trying to turn the whole thing. Has anyone else experienced this? I am going to give Bilstein a call on Monday I think and see what they say too.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
That is the suggestion I got from my brother as well Brian. A lot of mechanics forget that rubber or they don't put it in on purpose so that they get your back in the shop.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
so thomas, all I would need to do is find someone with a spring press, and have them give me a hand in taking the springs out, and putting the rubber piece in the "cup?" is that right? would I even need to take the spring out? or could I just compress the spring, & put the disc in? let me know. thakns.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Brett. yes I do have this problem. it acts up the most when it rains. so I would assume it has something to do with maybe where the spring sits in the cup of the shock?? I asked around, and the guy who did my exhaust said it might be the flat round piece of thin rubber that is supposed to sit in the cup between the spring and the cup--might be missing? I want this problem fixed pronto. I hate that noise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts