VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 20th AE GTI 2 days ago, and where is it today? In the shop for 3 days. I was driving on the highway when all of a sudden I hear a noise like there is a huge hole in the engine and every time I press the gas a tremendous amount of air is passed through it. So I take back to the dealer and they tell me that my blow off valve is busted and they have to order a new one and it will take 3 days. I was pretty upset as the car only has 250 miles on it. The dealer offered me a free service visit for my trouble. Has anybody has these issues? And should I just go buy diverter valve and be done with it. Does the D/V void the warranty?

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
your car shouldn't have came with a bov. it should have came with a diverter valve. the diverter valve is probably busted. you should buy a newer better one just incase you want to chip it in the future!

forge makes a good dv so check it out. CLICK ME

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While my car was at the dealer I walked back spoke with the mechanic and he is the one that showed me this little piece of black plastic and called it a blow off valve. He said my car was pushing 20 psi and should only be at 18 and that was causing some hose to pop out which made that loud blowing sound.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
you stated above that you have a 20th anniversary gti. the 20th's come with the 1.8t engine. if it is not chipped then your car SHOULD be pushing only 10 psi and not 18 or 20.

if your engine is completely stock then you don't have a blow off valve you have a diverter valve.

i don't really know what kind of mod's you have on your car or if you have any considering it's brand new!

but having a bov is not good for our engines. search "bov" in the mk4 search and you'll find out why it is not good to have.

[ August 24, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anthony,

I appreciate your replies,I am obviously still learning. I do have the 20th and the car is completely stock, as far as the engine is concerned. I just assumed that the mechanic knew what he was talking about, he definitely said 20 psi. The service department called me today and told me that they need the car for another day because there was a tube that led to the turbo, I'm not sure which one, that had a hole as well, so they are replacing that too. Should I be concerned about any engine damage? He obviously said it was no big deal, but I'm still nervous as the car is brand new and I've had for 2 days.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Hmm.. It might just have been a faulty hose that you had. This is the first time i've heard of this problem. I know when i first put on my Boost controler and new D/V, i didn't clamp down the D/V tight enough and the pressure kept blowing off the D/V from the hose, talking about emberasing when your trying to race a honda and all you here is this loud air rushing sound but not going anywhere. Hopefully you get everything taken care of and you don't have anymore issues with this.
jon

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
kind of off topic but, has anyone tried the HKS BOV w/ diverter hose kit? It's suppossed to act like a diverter but still give the sound of a BOV. I'm thinking a forde dv is porbably better since BOV sound isn't worth $150 extra. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Ok
1: the stock DV is known to fail, Many do within the first 100 miles
2: NO an aftermarke valve will not void it.
3: Replace it, get an aftermarkert valve as one of your first 3 mods

About the HKS w/ Recirc kit

Sounds awsome. because it is push style it can never leak, i have the ssq with reirc on my car and i can hear it just like a muffled bov but its loud enough for heads to turn

·
Registered
112 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by my5thVW:
While my car was at the dealer I walked back spoke with the mechanic and he is the one that showed me this little piece of black plastic and called it a blow off valve. He said my car was pushing 20 psi and should only be at 18 and that was causing some hose to pop out which made that loud blowing sound.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is it just me or do VW mechanics not have a clue what the hell they are talking about? In my experience they are the biggest idiots. Seriously, if he honestly believes it was pushing 20 psi, or that it's supposed to push 18 psi stock, then that man is a complete moron....A complete moron who gets to take your car apart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts