VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im gettin ready to buy a blow off valve and was wondering if i should get hks that makes the "purring" sound or the turbo xs that makes the "whoosh" sound. right now im leaning toward the pur...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry i dont... fill me in?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
We just talked about it here. It will mess up your MAP sensor, you'll throw CEL's, and you run rich for a few seconds each time you shift, which is isn't a good thinking.

Bottom Line: Get a Diverter Valve, or ask Raf or Dakota how to properly setup the BOV.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Here we go again...

the 1.8t has a closed meterd air system (MAF), it records the incomming air charge and sets the injector puls accordingly. When the air is released by a BOV the car does not know that this air is not in the track anymore and still adds fuel as if there was a full charge in the pipes. This causes a Rich condition and will result in shorting the lifespan of your Cat. , bad gas mileage, unstable idol if valve is not tuned right, CEL's (not with the HKS)...ect.
Many people run them without a problem however the engine is designed to recirculate the air in the track back before the turbo. This is why most people run diverter valves. In conjunction with a CAI they provide an audible woosh sound.
Another alternative is a GFB hybrid valve. The hybrid valve allows you to adjust the amount of air that is vented and reciculated.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Forget the blow off valve man..all of the guys on this forum that know what they're talking about say it's not good for the car. I say you get yourself a CAI..you'll get the sound without hurting your car..that's what i did and i'm very happy with the performance/sound.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I dont know anymore , I got the hks BOV, I tihnk its working just fine, I dont know about the running rich , cuz i dont know much about cars or anything, and mine was set up by the vw mechanic, and hes got one on his jetta. But the sound is worth the money, thats all I can say. PEACE

·
Registered
637 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slaven GTI:
I dont know about the running rich , cuz i dont know much about cars or anything <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trust me buddy even with the HKS SSQ , you are running rich (the second you shift). After a while your ecu will pull timing and you will loose power. Take it from someone who learn it the hard way.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommunist:
Would a BOV help my VR6? This would totally make my car uber fast right? I want the cool sound too!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joking right...

·
Registered
510 Posts
ok Dakoda, what do u suggest in my case? Take it off? Switch to something else? I dont know, You tell me Thanx

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Do you plan on getting turbo back? If yes, keep it on for now, when you get the turbo back and the high flow cat take it off so you don't hurt the lifespan of your new cat.
If you like the sound now, leave it on...If performance is not your main goal then you shouldn't mind loosing a little bit of power by the pulled timing. It is not going to hurt your car in a way that will be internally damaging. Running rich isn't always a bad thing...its much better then running lean. Plus it is only a fraction of a second for each shift.

In your case, I would leave it on for now. When you are more strictly performance minded then you might want to switch over to a DV, but for now, enjoy that sound while ripping past a ricer...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so this is what i understand so far... it will make my car run rich (witch isnt always a bad thing) and it only slows my car down by a fraction of a second between shifts? somebody pm me and explain that cuz it just doesnt seem like it much wrong

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
Joking right...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh no of course not. Everyone get a BOV! Even if you don't need one!! Do it now! Quickly!!!!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommunist:
Oh no of course not. Everyone get a BOV! Even if you don't need one!! Do it now! Quickly!!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he meant because you said you had a vr6..but it's obvious that you're joking anyway..

[ March 11, 2004: Message edited by: Klipse ]

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
It is not uncommon for people to ask about BOVs for their N/A car. I thought you knew better, but wasn't totally sure

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vtec_this:
so this is what i understand so far... it will make my car run rich (witch isnt always a bad thing) and it only slows my car down by a fraction of a second between shifts? somebody pm me and explain that cuz it just doesnt seem like it much wrong<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your car will run rich while the air is being vented not the entire time you are driving. Leaning a little bit to the rich side is ok...
Your car will not slow down, but the "lag" while your gasing out of your shift will be a good bit more then it would be if you were running a DV. The turbo needs to re-fill the entire track with air. Placing a BOV right before the t-body cuts down on the lag alot.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
a BOV will only make it run rich for a second... you'll probably get a little puff of black smoke. I don't see it throwing a CEL, but what the hell do I know about MK4s.

Your biggest concern is to get one that is adjustable. If it isn't adjustable, and it pulls open under vacuum then your car will be lean at idle and probably die... and throw a CEL.

Oh... and anyone who's hearn an HKS SSQ knows that it doesn't sound like purring... but more like someone is running over a cat. It's a shrill shreak.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Actually when I had my HKS SSQ BOV on my car the ecu did store a DTC code. I don't know how the ecu knew that the DV is missing, but i think the code said "dv failure". I'm telling you man DO NOT RUN THIS SETUP.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts