VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i dont know if this is all true but i was told that a blowoff valve would help increase the life of my turbo and give me a lil boost of hp? Is this so? Thank you for your help.

~Travis

·
Registered
225 Posts
IM NOT SURE ABOUT INCREASING THE LIFE OF THE TURBO, BUT I DO KNOW THAT A BOV IS NOT SUCH A GREAT UPGRADE FOR OUR CARS. IT ACTUALLY REDUCES HP BECUASE THE AIR BEING SUCKED IN IS BEING VENTED INTO THE AIR AND NOT INTO THE INTAKE LIKE THE STOCK DIVERTER VALVE. HOPE THIS HELPS

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
BOV are really good for one thing "Sound". That's why everyone get's one so they turns heads with that pants creaming sphhuuuschhhh. If you want to save you engine/turbo life invest in a turbo timer. Starting and shutting off your engine is one of the hardest wear and tears on your turbo. More good info about turbo's here http://8vturbo.com/

Best of luck!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Someone that I know works at a VW Tunning shop here in Maryland. Over the weekend he said that a blowoff valve is good for the life span of the Turbo but it doesn't give it any HP.

·
Registered
777 Posts
ive heard the same, no hp but helps turbo life, sounds sweet too, a friend of mine has a wrx with one, if you do get a BOV spend a little money, they arent all the same, you also get different sound out of different BOV's

·
Registered
13 Posts
so is the bov not a good thing to get or is it. I want to get one but im afraid now.

·
Registered
777 Posts
its not going to hurt anything, it is beneficial to your turbo, the only thing different is the BOV chirp, so its not going to hurt your car at all

·
Registered
13 Posts
ok now the question is what company should i get it from and do you have any sites i can look at for it?

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
why dont you consider EVO DV. check this website out http://www.evoms.com give you a details explaination.
cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
why is that one so much cheaper in price compared to the greddy and other ones, i want one for very nice quality reliability and sound, not just something to throw in there you know. and also will the dealership bitch and complain when i bring my car is for service with a bov

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vdubturbo:
why is that one so much cheaper in price compared to the greddy and other ones, i want one for very nice quality reliability and sound, not just something to throw in there you know. and also will the dealership bitch and complain when i bring my car is for service with a bov<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sometimes your just paying for the name. Well if something goes wrong, such as a check engine light which seems to be a common problem with the BOV and not DV, you will have to pay for it to get reset. also if your turbo ever goes while it's still under warrenty, they might blame the BOV on it because it's not a OEM one even though anything is better then that. I'll be looking at getting a new DV soon to replace my Turbo XS one that's just to big.
jon

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i heard that w/ a BOV on our cars we loose boost presure and it is not a good idea.. however a DV is supposed to avoid that problem

·
Registered
158 Posts
STOLEN FROM ANOTHER SOURCE- <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Your VW came with a DV, hence I think you should run with. The aftermarket DV's are plenty strong to handle all the boost you throw at them. I don't know about the Forge, or GFB but I know for a fact the Bailey is rated at 60PSI. The TT N valve is what many people are trying as an alternative to buying an aftermarket valve, it is an audi factory part and APR recommends it as a throw away part almost, basically just buy them pop them in and when they go bad get another. They seem a bit stronger then stock but not as strong as an aftermarket valve. BOV's can be run, as a few companies have kits for them that use a HKS super sequential BOV but just remember the air that is getting blown off isn't being metered by the MAF, even though it may not throw a CEL it could still confuse the ECU slightly. Speaking of the MAF its needed and guarantee you won't see gains by unplugging it unless your MAF is already dead. After a few weeks of mine unplugged I noticed rough starts in the morning. Yes if the MAF goes bad the MAP sensor can meter air but it is not as accurate.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

also check out 20vturbo.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
so you guys suggest i get a diverter valve instead of the blow off valve? Does the DV make a noise as well like a blow off valve. How are the two different, what makes the dv safe? sorry for asking so many questions im just new with turbos and want to gain some knowledge and not do anything that might be too risky for my car.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vdubturbo:
will the diverter valve make the same pshhh noise?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am pretty certain that the Blow Off Valve will generate a louder "pssssssssstsssss" sound as it blows the air off instead of diverting it. I don't have either only because I decided to get a different car shortly. Hence I didn't get the HID's I really wanted either.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The BOV will make a louder psssht then a dv. The dv will make a quieter woosh sound. To maxamize the sound the dv makes get a cold air intake. The cai will make all the great noises our engines make sound even better.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts