VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all... this is my first message on here...

I have a 1999 golf se (uk spec) and the small light in the rear boot of the car does not always come on when i open the rear boot \ tailgate. i have tried changing the blub and running a meter over the contacts. the bulb is ok, but i sometimes get voltage, and sometimes not.. Do you guys think the boot switch (which turns the light on and off) faulty???? is it bad contact within the switch??? where is it located??? how can i get to it?? anyone else had this problem??

please help.. thanks guys

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
my "trunk light" sometimes goes on and off when I have my trunk open. I don't know why? I guess it could be a faulty switch or some bad wiring? Let me know what you find out. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
my "trunk light" sometimes goes on and off when I have my trunk open. I don't know why? I guess it could be a faulty switch or some bad wiring? Let me know what you find out. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definatly an bad switch \ wire problem. I have now ran an earth to complete the ciruit and the light turns on nice and BRIGHT... but one problem.. as the earth is switched (at the lock \ close mechinisum) the light STAYS ON ALL THE TIME... oh well.. back to the drawing board... anyone know how to get access to the switch \ lock???????

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I have 1999 Jetta and I have the same freakin' problem. The dealership just replaced the bulb and said it works and it doesn't. What kind of answer is that?
"It works and it doesn't" what the [email protected]%@#% ?
Obviously there is a problem here if more then one person has the same occurance, don't you think VW?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi guys....

well... your friendly limey has fixed this one...

The tailgate \ boot \ hatch lock mechanism has a switch inside, which is turned on \ off when the tailgate is open \ closed.

This switch is not very well protected against dam etc, which lead to bad contacts. I have replaced my lock mechanisum (the switch cannot be bought seprately as is molded to the mechanisum) and so far my boot light has been working fine..! (the problem i had with my alarm is now also fixed (switch also includes contacts for alarm))

so, to ix this pne... Replace your tailgate lock mechanisum. (in the uk this costs £20 from a VW dealer)

good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi guys....

well... your friendly limey has fixed this one...

The tailgate \ boot \ hatch lock mechanism has a switch inside, which is turned on \ off when the tailgate is open \ closed.

This switch is not very well protected against dam etc, which leads to bad contacts. I have replaced my lock mechanisum (the switch cannot be bought seprately as is molded to the mechanisum) and so far my boot light has been working fine..! (the problem i had with my alarm is now also fixed (switch also includes contacts for alarm))

so, to fix this problem... Replace your tailgate lock mechanisum. (in the uk this costs £20 from a VW dealer)

good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts