VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know how much you can bore a 1.8t bottom end too? 2.2 liters? 2.3 maybe?

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I actually don't think I've heard of anyone doing that. Wouldn't that be a lot to bore an engine though?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The biggest I have heard of is a 2.2 bore, but I think they had to lower the boost b/c the engine was getting too weak.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vlksgnspeed:
that sucks i guess 2.2 isnt worth it then maybe jsut 2.0 or 1.9<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A guy on clubB5.com bored his Passat engine to a 1.9T.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Max should be 83mm bore, or about 1.9L.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know someone who built an A1 2.2T 20V, and blew the motor on the first pass at the track. Under high boost, boring out a motor is not healthy IMO.

There are a lot of better and cheaper ways of making more power with a 1.8T.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MK2 1.8T GUY:
There are a lot of better and cheaper ways of making more power with a 1.8T.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like taking out 4 valves. There's more airflow potential in a 16v because of less vavle interference problems. And you can get 16v long blocks for under $200. I guy at a Canadian wrecking yard wanted to sell me a good running 2L 16v for $150 US.

To get to 2.2 you have to bore 83.5 which is PAST the bore limit, and run a stroker crank. Generally not a good idea.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Biggest iv seen is a 2.0 that they sell bored. Comes with 483 HP. TAP makes it, but the walls get really thin and you cant run big boost.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts