VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with my 96 Jetta GLX (VR6). The idle will "bounce" between 500 and 600 rpm. The weird thing about this is that it only happens when the car is moving. As soon as I come to a complete stop. The idle jumps to 700 rpm and stablizes. I've had this problem for a couple of years now and it seems to be getting worse. The parts that have recently been changed (so aren't the problem) are hose between the throtle-body and the MAS, spark plugs, ignition wires, coil, MAS and both O2 sensors. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Bouncy moving idol, steady standing idol, thats a new one lol. Sounds like you have covered most everything, try cleaning the MAF (How-to, use search) a 100rpm jump is totally normal, I wouldn't be worried the least bit.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Just a shot in the dark but maybe it's your oil pressure making it jump. It could be starving at higher rpm's. But I'm definatley not a expert on this so don't take this post too seriously as I'm sure someone is going to post and tell me that that's impossible.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Try this, just for giggles:

Unhook the neg battery terminal, and turn the key to ON for about 10 mins. Reattach the neg terminal and let the car sit with the key in ON for about 5 mins. Start the car and just let it idle for about 5 mins. Go for a drive for at least 5 mins around town, varying the RPM. You're computer will be about 80% relearned by now and the idle should improve.

If not, going by what you've checked already, maybe something with the ISV!?!?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
It clears its memory so it can relearn the car. Idol postion, TB alignment ect...Its worth a try

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. Not sure if this helps or not, but just for kicks, I shot out the throtle body with carb cleaner the other day and so far, it seemed to help the bounce. It's still there, but not as noticable. I'll try it for a couple of days and see. I'm also taking my car in to the shop tomorrow to fix the A/C. I may just have them take a look at the problem while they're at it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts