VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have read up on the BOV issues you can have with this vehicle. I just purchased the car and the yahoo who owned it put a Greddy RS BOV on it. If you look at the attached picture , my question is can I purchase a recirculation fitting and attach it to the end where the yellow arrow is? Or should I scrap it all and get a diverter valve ? Thanks for helping a newbie

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sell it and buy a forge DV. Just less issues down the road.
Sorry to be a PIA but...would recirculating this work for the time being? As far as the diverter goes I have done some research and it's not quite as easy as I thought. 007 or 008 ? Ive also seen something called a Fast Road Closed Loop Diverter Valve. Which should I get?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Get either 007 or 008. theyre both good and 008 is newer i believe. both work fine. the choice is yours.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
I suppose something like a rad hose and a coupler, some hose clamps would suffice for now.

If you're going to get a new dv within the week I wouldn't worry a ton about it, since those parts will cost you money. Are you feeling lucky?

The 008 is an upgraded design, more stout, smaller, sounds more agressive.
If you don't plan on upgrading much a 007 would be fine, if you go big turbo you would end up needing something that flows more than either one anyway.
Or you would run no maf, stand alone and be back to the BOV. (possibly)

i vote 007

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I suppose something like a rad hose and a coupler, some hose clamps would suffice for now.

If you're going to get a new dv within the week I wouldn't worry a ton about it, since those parts will cost you money. Are you feeling lucky?

The 008 is an upgraded design, more stout, smaller, sounds more agressive.
If you don't plan on upgrading much a 007 would be fine, if you go big turbo you would end up needing something that flows more than either one anyway.
Or you would run no maf, stand alone and be back to the BOV. (possibly)

i vote 007
I have a K04 turbo. So your saying the 008 wont suffice? What now? :)

CIL came on yesterday too :( not sure if the BOV is the cause

Fault code is P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Ross-Tech Wiki
great site for cels ^

16804/P0420/001056 - Catalyst System; Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold

Possible Causes
Leakage in Intake and/or Exhaust System
Catalyst faulty
Oxygen Sensor(s) faulty
Oxygen Sensor(s) Control faulty

Possible Solutions
Check Intake and Exhaust System for Leaks
Check Catalyst
Check Oxygen Sensor(s)
Check Oxygen Sensor(s) Control
Perform Oxygen Sensor(s) Aging Check

Special Notes
For 1.8T's experiencing this fault code, this thread may be useful: VWVortex.com - Aftermarket DP/Cat -DTC - Cat efficiency below threshold - Who has this DTC and wich DP/Cat
Category: Fault Codes

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
if you go big turbo you would end up needing something that flows more than either one anyway.

I have a K04 turbo. So your saying the 008 wont suffice? What now? :)

A ko4 is NOT a big turbo, haha. I don't think anything under 500HP at the crank is considered big turbo territory.
ko4 doesn't flow much more than the ko3 because there is very little difference in the size of the housing.

As you can see here.

It does however flow a lot better top end depending on which ko4 variant it is like, a franken turbo. But because the intake side is generally much larger than the exhaust side and the intake chokes down to a small point it compresses the air a lot and leads to a VERY hot intake charge. Hot air doesn't give much hp and requires a ton of cooling.
Bla bla bla yappity yap yap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can't believe I am the first to notice but that is hooked up so [email protected] wrong it made me laugh. The blow off valve is sitting attached to the turbo inlet and the charge air pipe, where the pressurized air actually is, is capped off. Whoever put that together didn't know his ass from his elbow, much less anything about cars.

OP, get a forge diverter and be done. If you absolutely must have a VTA setup for cocking about like a ricer, get the forge splitter.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
i dont know how no one else noticed that^^^ whoever set that up is an asshat. that compressor surge must sound wonderful

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
If you absolutely must have a VTA setup for cocking about like a ricer, get the forge splitter.

lol this made me laugh.

best bet is to just go with a diverter valve or splitter (splitter doesnt really sound any different than diverter unless you mess with the trumpet)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have purchased the Forge 008. Hopefully I can find someone to fix the mess that's there now and install the diverter properly

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
just look at 008 installs on google, youtube, etc. its very straight forward and will get rid of that mess.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
OK bought the 008 and now have it installed. Did some research (can you believe it ?!) and found out some info on the springs. So I am running stage 2 software a CAI and a K04 turbo. I first put the yellow spring in. Now I have two spacers and the yellow spring in. Unfortunately I have no idea what my boost is at as there is no gauge. (next purchase) Not sure EXACTLY what I am looking for but here's what I have found. When getting on the throttle I can hear a slight swooshing of air under the hood. When I clutch in to change gears I heard a louder more obvious air swoosh. Should I be hearing any air noise before pressing the clutch ? When I ran just the yellow spring without spacers it seemed like the air was being diverted (louder swoosh) before the clutch was engaged depending how hard I was on the throttle . That made me believe I needed the spacers.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
It's completely throttle controlled not clutch controlled.
When you let your foot off the gas you'll hear the whoosh because the throttle body closes while the turbo is still spinning and there is a build of of pressure in the intake lines, so the valve opens to dump it to a place that won't result in catastrophic failure of your intake.

I'm pretty sure all the spring does is keeps the valve closed and putting a spacer in just makes it take more pressure to open or vise versa.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts